Chapter 8 Demons and Yokai

Start from the beginning

There was no time to figure out who was missing as a messenger crow (Sango had learned to recognize them) flew overhead and cawed out "It's time for the meeting!" At once the Pillars and Tanjiro went to the one of the larger buildings on the right, the door of which was opened by a small girl with white hair and uncanny purple eyes. Sango and Miroku quickly followed.

Once inside they all seated themselves at a long table. Beside Rengoku was a boy with yellow hair wearing very odd blue and red clothes. Probably the stranger Rengoku was talking about. He looked very uncomfortable. The only other one in the room who looked out of place was a girl with long purple hair hiding in the corner next to a man with a black and white striped jacket.

A noise startled her, but it was only a sliding door being opened. A short, slender man wearing a white and purple robe entered. He was clearly ill--the upper half of his face was covered with livid scars, and his eyes were pale, blank gray. Sango realized this man was blind. And his disease was in some way related to demons--she could tell from the vague miasma hovering about him.  

"His aura feels like he's infected by a demon." she hissed to Miroku, who nodded, eyes still locked on Kanroji. Sango groaned internally and elbowed him.

The sick-looking man sat down at the head of the table, flanked by two girls identical to the one that let them in. They look similar to the man--probably family. Sango remembered Kocho telling her about the Ubuyashiki family who ran the Slayer Corps. 

The sick man spoke. "Is everyone here?" Even though his voice was very quiet, it was strong and regal.

The very tall man wearing a green cape sitting at the other end responded. "Six of us are here, Oyakata-sama. The ones missing are Tomioka, Tokito, and Shinazugawa."

Ubuyashiki thought for a moment, then spoke. "Do you know where they might be, Himejima?"

The tall man shook his head. "No. Shinazugawa was out on a mission two days ago, and we haven't seen him since. Tomioka and Tokito should have been at home."

"Ah." Ubuyashiki nodded. "And are the strangers here?"

"Yes, all of them."

"Alright." Ubuyashiki turned to the rest of the group. "Please, tell me about them."

Shinobu spoke. "I'll go first. Tanjiro was out buying some herbs for me at the apothecary, when he encountered these two strangers."

"They smelled different, and they had a demon cat with them." Tanjiro cut in. "So I apprehended them, and when I did, they said they are from the Sengoku Era."

Everyone reacted. Rengoku said "WHAT!", the short man in black and white glared at them, Himejima turned to stare (although he was blind), the other tall man with a jeweled headband yelled loudly, and even Ubuyashiki looked intrigued.

"Could they please introduce themselves?" Ubuyashiki asked.

Miroku nodded, an imperceptible sweat drop rolling down his face, and cleared his throat. "My name is Miroku, and I am a monk. And this is my companion Sango, a Demon Exterminator. Oh, and, um, that's Sango's two-tailed cat-yokai Kirara." The cat had jumped on the table and was walking back and forth.

"A yokai?"Ubuyashiki said gently. "She doesn't burn in the sun?" 

"No, we found that this cat is immune to sunlight" Shinobu resumed. "And they say the yokai they are used to are all immune."

"Hold up a minute!" the man with two large swords on his back. "Used to? You mean these guys have met demons before?"

"I am a Demon Exterminator, after all." Sango replied.