Waiting For The End

*Brinley's POV*

My arm hurts. Like a lot. I don't like it. I want to itch the stitches, and my doctor said I could itch as long I didn't continuously do it, but when I itch it only makes me want to itch more. I've never had stiches, broken bones, or surgeries before. I'm one of the few kids who weren't idiots when they were young. Race, on the other hand, had broken his arm, his nose, and sprained his ankle all before he reached high school. 

Today's Wednesday. It's been three days since the accident, and two days since I've been at school. I'm going back today. All my friends have sent me messages asking if I was okay and wishing me well. Faith came over yesterday after school and we talked for hours about everything that happened. She didn't even get to see Race, which Race was very mad about.

We also watched one of our favorite episodes from our one of our favorite shows on Netflix called Manifest. The song at the end of the episode has been stuck in my head, especially since I've been listening to it since I heard it.

I think I hear it a distance in your voice
Between you and me, tell me something 

Are you fading?
Is time erasing what we had?
Are we waiting for the end of nothing?
'Cause we lost it long ago
And it's too late to pretend
We're just waiting for the end 

I walk into through the doors of the school with Race after Mom dropped us off--our truck is completely totaled, but luckily Dad was ready to get rid of his truck right now and was going to give it to me so Race and I wouldn't have share, but now we're just going to share the one he's giving us while he goes and gets a new one. I've already been told that I can't drive it by myself at night by a lot of people. But I have no interest in driving for a while.

Before I can even get to my locker, I'm attacked with a hug.

"Brins!" Mush exclaims, holding me tight.

I laugh and hug him back. "Good to see you too, Mush."

The rest of the group is waiting for me behind Mush. I say hi to everyone and let them know that I'm feeling better and am glad to be back. Even though the only reason I ever want to come to school is seeing my friends. 

School is long. I guess with all the recent drama, I haven't been focusing on school as much. Not like today's any different, because I'm only thinking about Spot and what we need to talk about. Sarah and Davey tell me at lunch that after he left the hospital, he went over to their house to pick up Hannah and ended up staying for lunch. That he looked happy when he was around Hannah. Which is great. I'm glad that they still have a great relationship, because I think that if Spot lost Hannah, he would never be the same.

If only he still felt that way about me. Or maybe he does and just doesn't want to tell me yet because it all seems like too much. We really need to talk.

"Whatcha thinking about?" Race asks as he pulls out of the school parking lot.

"Stuff," I say, looking out the window. I look at Race a few moments later. "How are the boys nights going with Spot?"

Race glances at me, frowning, and then looks back at the road with a shrug. "Fine, I guess. The first one was a little weird, but after that it was fine. Why?"

I wait a few moments before answering. "I need to talk to him again."

"About?"

I shrug. "Stuff. I don't know Race, it's all just a little goofy."

"Makes sense, considering you're a little goofy."

"Shut up, you're annoying," I say pulling out my phone. I answer some texts from Faith and one of the many group chats before pulling up S😶