Out Of The Woods

*Spot's POV*

I leave the hospital a little bit before Brinley's mom gets there, thinking about what Brinley told me. There's obviously something still between us, but neither of us can decide if it's actual love or just the feeling we had last year before I left. The addiction to each other. Neither of us wants to act on it to figure it out.

As I pull out of the hospital parking lot, I call Mrs. Jacobs. Hannah was hanging out with Les today, at Davey's house. I never realized Hannah and Les hung out a lot, but I guess they were in the same grade, so it makes sense.

The Jacobs are a nice family. Davey and Sarah I know from the group, and while I haven't had a whole lot of one-on-one interactions with either, they're both nice. And Les has come to a few football games and movie nights, and he's always fun.

After I get off the phone with Mrs. Jacobs, telling her I'm coming to pick Hannah up, I turn up the radio, which happens to be playing Taylor Swift.

"Looking at it now
It all seems so simple
We were lying on your couch
I remember," the radio plays. I think back to the movie night at the Higgins' house last year. It was the first night Brinley and I were official, and she was wearing my hoodie with my last name on the back for the first time.

Every movie night, I sat on the couch with her. I don't know why I did, I just did. She looked far away from everyone else on the floor when she was on the couch. I didn't want her to be alone, I guess. I always sat on the opposite end of her, but that night at her house, I sat next to her, and we stayed like that for the entire movie.

"You took a Polaroid of us
Then discovered
(Then discovered)
The rest of the world was black and white
But we were in screaming color
And I remember thinking," the song continues. I keep thinking about that Friday all those months ago. I remember how I told her everything in sixth hour. How I felt bad that I kissed her and then ghosted her. How she gave me feelings I never felt before. Then, my mind flashes back to our conversation in the hallway after that.

*Flashback*

Brinley sighs. "You don't get it. I have to wear something that shows that I'm yours."

"Oh, so we're immediately skipping to yours now?"

She blinks up at me, face blank. "You confessed your feelings, mine were already out there, and then you kissed me. We're endgame now. I'm not letting you break up with you."

"What if I cheated on you?" I ask jokingly.

Brinley frowns, giving me a weird look. "Why would you even bring that up? You'd be stupid to try. I have guy friends. And aggressive girl friends. And I have a very short temper. You wouldn't survive cheating on me."

I grin. "Endgame it is then."

That really didn't work out, did it? I guess endgame doesn't really mean endgame, and our love didn't mean forever. But we have a second chance now. Though, is it really going to work? Every time Brinley and I seem close to being happy, something comes along and ruins it. Is there a way to know that's not going to happen.

I zone back in on the road, and Taylor Swift continues singing.

"Are we out of the woods yet?
Are we out of the woods yet?
Are we out of the woods?

Are we in the clear yet?
In the clear yet, good."