chapter 15

josephine lee

From the corner of the room, I hear a stupid alarm start going off. When did I decide to set an alarm? I groan loudly, not wanting to get out of bed to turn it off but also wanting to hurry out to make the noise stop. "I know, I'm sorry." a low voice says from beneath me. Beneath me? I launch up, getting lightheaded over how fast I got up.

I look at whatever I was sleeping on, press a hand to my chest, and relax when I realize it's just Jack. Just Jack? Are you kidding? "I thought you were a random man for a second." I tell him, rolling off of him in search of some clothes. He gets up to turn his alarm off and scoffs. "A random man? Did you just forget last night?" He says, getting closer to me on the bed. 

With his hands in front of him dipping into the mattress, looking me in my eyes waiting for an answer I choose to not respond and look away from him. I feel him press a kiss to my temple before he takes off to the bathroom. Once the door closes I look up at the mirror directly in front of me and watch a blush creep up across my face. 

Along with my natural blush I see my even more smudged makeup and wonder how he could kiss me let alone look at me while I look like this. I look like Batman with his mask off, but taking off my makeup isn't really an option either. I've learned the hard way that boys don't like me with my makeup off. They like looking at the smudged makeup and flawless-looking skin. 

I hop off my bed, walk towards my suitcase, and grab a fresh pair of underwear and some clothes to change into. I wasn't expecting to be up this early but since I am, I might as well make the most of my morning before going to the venue for tonight's concert. Maybe I can go to the park or a coffee shop to write a bit, I'm still not sure. I'll figure it out.

Jack walks out of the restroom now fully dressed but still looking a bit in a hurry. It makes sense since he's supposed to be dressed for practice and right now he's wearing his suit without his jacket. I step into the bathroom, putting my stuff on the counter, and open up a drawer with a spare toothbrush in it. He sighs gratefully and lines the bristles with toothpaste. 

He hurriedly brushes his teeth, leaning over the counter to not get any paste on his clothes. I stand around awkwardly, looking for something to keep myself busy with. I turn on the shower, letting the water warm up while I lay out my outfit for today. Jack spits his toothpaste into the sink and rinses his mouth off. 

As he dries his mouth off with a towel he turns and asks what I'm doing today. I lean against the counter feeling the cool marble on my hip while I tell him about my plans for writing, and he nods asking if he can come. "You're a hockey player." I feel the need to remind him. He mimics my stance and crosses his arms. "Correct,"

He doesn't get what I mean by that."Don't you have a pregame routine you can't ruin?" I furrow my brows, putting toothpaste on my toothbrush. He lets a low chuckle roll out while I brush my teeth, closing my lips around the brush. "I'm sure you'll be just what the routine is missing." he assures me.

I roll my eyes at him, holding up a finger as I spit my toothpaste out into the sink. "Quit being sappy. It's gross." I frown, brushing my tongue before rinsing my mouth with cold water. "It's growing on you." he smiles with a certain security that makes chills go down my spine. He knows I like it no matter how much I push him away. 

I put my toothbrush away, before wiping the sides of my lips. He pushes off the counter and says, "Okay, well I gotta get going." he leans in. I tilt my head to the side in confusion, asking him why he's getting closer. He pulls back matching the look on my face. "For a kiss." He says, acting like we're supposed to be on the same page. 

Is that what we're doing now? Kissing before one of us goes. This feels domestic, but it feels nice. It's nice to expect a kiss before leaving. "Josie, I'm gonna be late and I'm not leaving without a kiss." He smirks, showing me that a part of him feels like he's not completely sure that I'll kiss him, but I want to kiss him. I really do.