38 // Monster

I was woken up from a peaceful sleep by a ringing phone. Still a bit disoriented, it was a while before I located the phone, and I was even more piqued at the realisation that it was Sy's phone.

He was sound asleep, his clothes lost somewhere in the room as he held me in his bare chest.

His ringing phone bothered me, he should not be that accessible considering the fact that he was a fugitive.

I slipped out of his arms and bed and quickly put on my clothes before I grabbed both our phones and snuck out of the room.

I had every reason to not answer his phone, but I couldn't ignore it, especially when Karabo's name popped on the screen. Why would she be calling him?

I accepted the call, but before I could even answer, she blabbered away. "Cas, what is wrong with you? I've been calling you since last night, but you don't answer my calls. Listen, I've given you more than enough time, if you can't tell your girlfriend the truth, then she's gonna have to find out the hard way. Now, I know you love her and you don't want her to suffer, but we can't risk the lives of innocent people to nurse one person's feelings. Another body was found last night a few streets from his house, he's going local, and it looks like Room 9 couldn't conceal this one, it's all over the news. The people are panicking because they think this is a work of a cult that is performing blood rituals. We can't drag this any longer, if we leave things as they are then my husband will have died for nothing. I know you love Yvonne, I have nothing against her, she's an amazing girl, but it does not change the fact that her father is a blood-sucking monster, and he is killing innocent people. I'm calling it in."

The beeping when the line died resembled a heart monitor as the world came crumbling down around me. My throat constricted, my chest growing tight, while a sharp pain consumed my heart.

I've felt pain, I know pain, and nothing could amount to the pain I was in right now. It was unbearable.

I just wanted to die.

"They are all lies, they are lying. Not my father, not my father," I mumbled, shaking my head as tears cascaded down my face. "Not my father."

'Yvonne, my father is dead! He is dead, okay? He is dead!'

'Yvonne worships her father, and she still questions my intentions, if I tell her then it is going to look like I am badmouthing her father to make myself appear better. My poor baby... it was so much better when we could blame your-'

'God, I hate him. And I curse the day I met him.'

'Tell me something, if by any chance your father succeeds in killing Cassilas... Would you ever forgive him? If that thought alone does not scare you at all, then maybe you should ask yourself if you truly love Cas.'

'-it does not change the fact that her father is a blood-sucking monster.'

I covered my ears in hopes to shut the voices in my head, but it was no use, they got louder with each passing second.

'Another body was found.'

'He's going local.'

'It's all over the news.'

'He's going local... it's all over the news.'

It was as though I was possessed when I scrambled to my feet and frantically searched for the TV remote, more anxiety flooding in when I found it stuck in the folds of the couch, it brought me a second closer to reality.