29 // Cast Out

Silas once said to me that he wondered if we would have met if he had not been turned into a vampire.

It seemed impossible back then, I didn't believe that we would have somehow met because I believed we came from two different worlds.

Today, however, I learnt that it was not true, we were not that different after all. If anything, we came from the same place and practically shared the same roots.

Perhaps in a different world his father would not have been a monster, and our fathers' friendship would have led us to each other.

Perhaps instead of being arranged to marry Gift, our parents would have arranged for Silas and I to get married; and since we were neighbours, who knows? Maybe we would have been best friends and childhood sweethearts.

It felt like whatever happened, no matter what road life took us through, it would have still led us to where we were today, and that gave me hope. Despite everything that's happened, especially last night, I no longer doubted his love for me, neither did I fear embracing and expressing my love for him.

I truly believed that Silas and I were fated to be, we were meant to be, and there was no fighting or getting away from our love.

But how was I supposed to fight for us when he wasn't willing to be by my side on the battlefield?

I took out my phone and sent a text to Karabo since she was the only person I could count on in the police force at the moment, I doubt she would run for the hills if she found out the depth of the case.

'Hey, thank you for coming through for me last night.' I hit the send button and waited anxiously for her response.

My thoughts drifted to last night before she came to get me from the estate just after Silas broke my heart.

I sucked in a sharp breath and sat on the floor. I was drained out and didn't even know what to do next. Where was I supposed to go from here?

There was no way I was returning home, my mother would never allow it, and my father was not someone I could count on. My sister and her soon-to-be husband were already cramped in a back room with their child, there was no room for one more person. Well, make that two. I rubbed my baby bump at the thought.

I took out my phone and scrolled through my call log, and my heart ached when the last person I called was Sy. He was literally the only person I would run to in times like this, I had no one else to turn to.

The phone vibrated and a WhatsApp message popped up.

'Are you sleeping?'

It was from my newest acquaintance, Karabo.

'I've been worried about you but didn't know how to reach out to you. Are you okay?'

'I know we've only just met, and I'm sorry if I am jumping the gun, but please don't hesitate to call me if you need me.'

My fingers hesitantly hovered over the keyboard, I couldn't quite trust her since she worked close with my father, but she was my only option at the moment.

'Is it too soon to take you up on that offer? I need a ride.' I quickly hit send before I could change my mind.

'On my way!'

I breathed out, feeling like I had one less problem to worry about. I used the luggage to stand up, I suddenly felt famished.

I went to the kitchen and stuffed myself with food while I waited for my ride to arrive, it was as if my stomach had suddenly grown into a bottomless pit.