Chapter 3

Roman
Roman Sterling wasn't just a name in the business world; I was a force—a presence that commanded respect and struck fear in the hearts of those who dared to cross my path. My reputation was built on strategic prowess, an unyielding determination, and the uncanny ability to transform failing ventures into thriving successes.

People talked about the choices I made in business, painting me as someone who's careful and determined. But they only told half the story. Yes, I had blood on my hands—those who defied me, betrayed me. Those were the casualties of a world where power dictated outcomes, and I stood at the apex.

Yet, beneath the veneer of calculated moves and ruthless strategies, there was one thing I abhorred—making a woman cry. It wasn't what I sought; it wasn't part of my design. Yet, somehow, I found myself in a situation where I'd caused unintended emotional distress. That wasn't how I operated. It unsettled me more than I cared to admit.

"How are things going with Serena? Heard you made her cry on your first meeting." Uncle quipped from sitting across the table. He had this horrible hobby of picking my nerves. Yet, I couldn't deny that even in his late fifties, he had an undying charm that never seemed to fade.

"Not that I intended." I said, spinning a coin across my fingers. "Lexi should have told me sooner about her weird hangover syndrome."

Ever since, I am feeling a tingling sensation in my chest. Guess I'll have to pay a visit to cardiologist.

"That jerk." He released an exasperated sigh, "I guess it's my fault that he grew up to be like this."

"Don't be down. You raised me, and I turned out just fine."

He let out a chuckle., "And I am proud of that."
After a moment he added, "Now seriously, how are things with Serena?"

I gave it a thought and answered, "I guess she hates me." Even after I spent a million fucking dollar for her.

Speed at which the coin was flipping across my fingers increased.

"Hmm... please, be kind to her. I'd appreciate it if you're extra careful with your words and actions around her. She's my friend's daughter you know."

"Don't worry. I might not be a good man, but I'm a gentleman."

"Oh I just remembered, Rina reached out to me yesterday expressing her interest in arranging a photo session featuring you and your fiancée for her magazine."

"Is that really necessary?" I'd rather spend my time working on the more important things.

"She's a good friend of mine, so turning down her request wasn't an option. Besides, two influential families are uniting by marriage. The corporate world should witness the extent of our growing strength."

His statement held truth. Besides Uncle's request, there's another reason I wanted to marry Graham's daughter. Harper Industries stood prominently within the top three companies specializing in electronic manufacturing. Aligning with them signified a significant leap forward for Sterling Tech. I had already planned bigger things for Sterling Tech like developing electronics using our cutting edge technology which would revolutionise the world.

But at what cost?

I asked myself as Serena's image flashed in my mind.

"Also, Rina is quite demanding in her job so make sure you adhere to her requests. We wouldn't want her to publish anything that could stir public inquiries about us."

"Fine."

He nodded and pulling out a paper from his coat he switched to business mode, "I went to visit him this morning as you asked," throwing the paper across the table he added, "Guess what-you're right about him. He didn't agree to sign the papers."