Chapter 4: Cadence

Start from the beginning

"They aren't your lovers?" The Emperor asks and the Demon huffs frustratedly. But Dion can't think of a more valid question. The Beast Harem is known far and wide. Princesses he's collected, some taken from the kingdoms he's ravaged. Once they were taken into his custody they are never seen or heard from again. The thought is terrifying.

The Emperor shakes his head, "This conversation is a moot point until I know what's happened to them."

The Demon is thoughtful a moment before nodding his head slowly.

"Shall we convene?" The Emperor asks and the demon nods once again.

The Emperor waves his guards away as he stands from his seat and resigns to the Room of Cadence along with the demon.

"Would father really let you marry a demon?" Deanna asks in distress.

Dion sighs as he sits back in his seat, "I trust father. I will leave it in his hands."

"Aren't you worried?" She asks surprised by her twins casual attitude. Dion peers up at his mother. Hazel's warm brown eyes peer down at Dion waiting for him to reply to his sister.

"I trust Papa and Maa." He replies simply and Hazel smiles warmly.

It was true. He still had many questions but he knew that his father would never speak to the Demon the way he did if he didn't know him. The Emperor would never bargain any of his children least of all his omegan twins. He doted on them every single day of their lives.  If nothing else he knew this so as the Emperor spoke with the Demon Dion drifted to sleep leaning against his mother letting the Empress's soft scent soothe him.

The next time Dion's opens his eyes he's being cradled in his mom's arms. The Empress had turned them so her son couldn't be seen sleeping.

"They aren't back yet? How long did I sleep?" Dion asks with a yawn.

The Empress chuckles as he turns them to show Dion the empty banquet hall, "This long." He says looking out into the empty room.

"Really?"

The Empress giggles, "About a half hour has passed. I tried to wake you when the guests started to leave but you were not having it. I instructed Deanna and your brothers to see to them as we wait."

"Oh. I don't even remember falling asleep."

"I wouldn't be surprised if you fainted. You must of been so terrified earlier. Your sister was inconsolable. Convinced the Demon King had dragged you away for good."

"I thought that too...but-

"But?"

"He was gentle." Dion admits as he looks up at his mom for a reaction.

Hazel tucks a particularly long curl behind Dion's ear, "Gentle how?" He prompts his son to continue.

"Mama it was so scary at first but then it suddenly wasn't. He took me upstairs and....

"And?"

"He knelt at my feet and washed them like you used to when I was little. Just imagine that big, scary, beast knelt before me washing between my toes. My feet looked like baby feet in his hands. But he was so gentle. Then he wrapped them with precious silk, covering me up. I'm starting to suspect that the rumors are wrong."

"I wouldn't go that far." The Empress replies seriously.

"Really?"

"He is a demon war king. He has conquered many. And I would never hide from you that it would be beneficial for our kingdom to align with his. But we would never just send you away for a few trunks of treasure."