That Pretty Girl's In Pretty Good Hands

En başından başla

Rage burned under his skin, but he tamped it down in favor of comforting his favorite person on earth.  Jake scooped her up and carried her around to the back of the truck, dropping the tailgate with one hand and climbing into the bed in one smooth motion.  He slides until his back is against the cab and he just holds her while she cries, tracing comforting patterns up and down her spine until she's hiccuping to catch her breath.

"Sorry I got snot on your shoulder," Honey exhales with a watery chuckle. 

"Meh, doesn't bother me in the slightest.  I've had worse of yours on my shoulder," Jake nudges her with said shoulder. 

Honey groans. "Oh God, I still can't believe I puked on you on shore leave."

"It was like you were a baby who spit up!  I was just being the best best friend out there, carrying the emotional drunk girl home over his shoulder, and BOOM. Barf all down my back," Jake chuckles at the memory. 

"On that note, let's go inside so I can change before dinner.  I'm sure I have an extra one of your shirts in there somewhere too, if you wanna go snotless," Honey says, hopping down from the truck and looking up at Jake. 

"Nah, I brought more than one change of clothes with me.  I know what to expect from spending time with your clumsy ass by now," he replies as he steps on the side of the truck and gracefully jumps.

"Show off," Honey grumbles, causing Jake to grin.

A few hours later, the four friends find themselves at a hole in the wall bar, drinking the night away.

Honey's phone has been buzzing nonstop since we sat down for dinner, and her mood sours every time she looks at it.  She eventually got so frustrated with it that she threw it across the dinner table.   After that, Jake gently held his open palm in her direction, silently asking if she wanted him to take it from her.  She nodded with a grateful smile.  She trusted Jake with her entire being, so she didn't mind in the slightest that he looked at her notifications. 

Jake couldn't help the scowl that crossed his face as he opened the messages

He looks up to find Honey rubbing her temples in frustration and he slips his wallet out quickly to hand her his card.