7 | Unveiling the Choreography

The next week went by quickly.

On Monday morning me and Halle showed up to the studio refreshed and ready to work.

I loved how we had such an intimate and fun weekend but we were able to transition into business partners for the sake of this huge performance.

I met with all of the dancers and introduced myself. I was shocked to learn that some of them already heard of me even before this booking.

I felt like a million dollars knowing that my name was already becoming well known.

I memorized every single dancers name and something important I learned about them so I could start to create a personal bond with them.

It was important for me to know who I was teaching my chorography to on a personal level because it made my job so much easier. When I understand who a dancer was and their why for dancing, I was able to reach them intimately when teaching.

I could inspire confidence in parts of the routine where they felt that they lacked and both my experience as their teacher and their experience as my student was that much better.

There was Imani, Nyla, Raven, Maya, Jada, and Jasmine.

They were all extremely talented and beautiful black women that could truly dance their asses off.

The studio felt like my home for the next few days.

I loved being there interacting and dancing with the ladies. They were the epitome of black girl magic.

They didn't miss a step in my teachings, they spoke up when they had questions, and they hit every move with the exact intention and emotion I wanted them to display.

They were the perfect dancers to choose for this performance and I made a mental note to commend the casting director for finding and hiring them.

While working closely with Halle, we clicked more and more each day.

She could see how the full routine was coming together with the styles of each of the dancers and worked with me on changes to accommodate the possible set restrictions.

There was this magical magnetic pull between us. We were inseparable at rehearsals, working side by side to make sure everything was coming out perfect.

At this point, I knew there was undeniable chemistry between us, whether she wanted to admit it or not.

We had a professional and personal connection that became stronger the more we worked together on this project.

I knew that there were professional boundaries I had to maintain so I did my best to remain appropriate but Halle made it hard for me.

During breaks from rehearsals we shared more stories, and laughter, and developed a deeper genuine friendship that really made the personal and professional lines blurry.

The nights after the long days of rehearsals, we found comfort in each other's company.

She came back with me to my hotel every night after rehearsal so we could wine down together and go over the notes for the day.

Her sister, Chloe, was out of town working on a project so she felt lonely in her apartment where she couldn't visit her sister-who lived two doors away from her and I didn't mind her company at all.

She brought her cat, Poseidon, over with her every night and I loved having him because I never had a pet before and he was so sweet to me.

On Wednesday night after rehearsal, we were in my hotel room- making a few tweaks to the notes we took on the issues we saw in today's routine.