Issue 27: Bitterness

Start from the beginning

Willow felt a bit of heat rise to her cheeks before she eventually took a seat.

"...if it wasn't obvious enough, I...I am not okay." Caleb said. "My team and I are working around the clock to try and make a cure for Hunter's condition...I haven't gotten much sleep. It doesn't help that the public just...wants answers..."

Willow's eyes softened. "It really is that bad, huh?"

"It is...we've made significant progress, but not a cure...not yet...I'm not giving up. He's my son and your friend." Caleb said, rubbing his eyes.

"But...you should probably at least sleep, sir." Willow said. "And before you say anything, I know how it feels...when...when I first got the news about Hunter, I didn't know what to think. I stayed up all night, studying the footage to see what was wrong with him, tried looking into any kind of mental illness he may have had without me noticing and even thought that he was a clone and not the real Hunter at one point! But...the less sleep I got, the less it helped...something could be staring at you right in the face and you don't even know it because you're forcing yourself to stay awake."

Caleb was silent at that before chuckling. "I didn't even think about that...any advice on how to sleep? And believe me, I've tried counting sheep. Doesn't work."

Willow hummed. "Well, some sleep medication will definitely help you fall asleep. And you need it, sir...you kind of look like a corpse."

Caleb snorted. "I do, don't I?"

Willow then stood before noticing one of the papers and curiously picking it up. "...who's Evelyn?"

Caleb's eyes widened and he shot up, grabbing the paper from her hands. He opened his mouth to speak, but no words came out. He then looked at the paper, which was a drawing of the Golden Goblin's mask with the name 'Evelyn' written in all capital letters.

"...Evelyn is...is Hunter's mother." Caleb said as he set the drawing down. "My former wife."

Willow's eyes widened at that and her heart clenched. "...former?"

"We...we parted ways after Hunter was born...I-I don't want to get into it, but...all I'll say is...she didn't feel safe with me and Hunter...so, she went back home." Caleb whispered, sounding heartbroken at his own words.

"I...I'm so sorry..." Willow whispered.

Caleb shook his head. "It's alright, Willow. You don't have to apologize...it's just that all these events are reminding me of her is all...I miss her."

He then set the drawing down, sighing. "B...but you're right, I...I guess I do need my sleep...is there anything I can do for you though? But...please, try to keep it small..."

Willow thought for a moment before looking up at him. "Does...Hunter still like cardinals?"

Caleb's eyes widened a bit before he nodded. "Y-yes. It seems to be the only thing that hasn't left him."

Willow then reached into her bag and suddenly pulled out a wooden cardinal before setting it into Caleb's hands. "Give him this when you see him again."

"...did you carve this?" Caleb asked, looking surprised.

Willow laughed sheepishly. "Tried."

"It's beautiful...keep practicing, Willow...and thank you. For checking on me." Caleb smiled.

Willow nodded before she walked away, giving him one last wave before exiting the door.

Caleb's smile then faded as he looked at the cardinal. He sighed before walking off, but not into his bedroom. Not just yet.

Instead, he walked into an unknown room in his mansion, pressing a button on a painting that opened the door. He then started walking down the hallway where he started to hear footsteps, talking, typing, and the sounds of machinery.

But, as he kept walking, the sounds faded as he eventually reached a door. He inputted a code and then walked through the door once it was open...where he was face to face with The Golden Goblin inside of his cell, which had been designed to look like his former bedroom.

The Golden Goblin turned his head and grinned at Caleb. "Well, well, well! Caleb Wittebane taking time out of his busy schedule to visit me...again."

Caleb walked over, the cardinal behind his back. "How are you feeling?"

"Oh, just swell!!!" The Golden Goblin laughed. "In fact, I think I'm just about to re-enter society as a changed man...or maybe I'll just do you all a favor, and slit that spider's throat."

Caleb sighed before inserting the wooden cardinal into a slot. "...your friend, Willow, wanted you to have this...she misses you, son."

The Golden Goblin tilted his head and picked up the wooden cardinal. He then sat down on his bed, humming as he looked at the craftsmanship. "...Willow made this?"

"She did." Caleb said before setting his hand on the glass. "She cares about you so much...if you can't hold on for me, then hold on for her, Hunter."

The Golden Goblin didn't reply, still staring at the cardinal in curiosity.

Caleb sighed before he held back a few tears. "I love you, son...don't ever forget that...please..." He whispered before walking away, leaving The Golden Goblin by himself again.

The Golden Goblin then smiled at the cardinal. "I think I'll call you...Flapjack...how does that sound?"

Obviously, the cardinal didn't respond.

"Flapjack it is." The Golden Goblin cackled.