Chapter 2: I've had enough!✔️

Start from the beginning

Brian sucks his teeth as soon as he ends the call. "Damn, I really wanted a night in with my girl like old times." I tilt my head in awe as I clean our mess. "I'm honored you want to spend time with your little sister, but we'll always have time for sibling hang-outs. Duty calls."

He nods and quickly kisses my head before grabbing his vest heading back out the door. Later that night, dad came home drunk again. Brian was still at work, so I was all alone with no protection if my father tried anything. As the youngest, I guess I've always relied on Brian to keep me safe. I just wish it didn't have to be this moment that I'd have to learn to defend myself.

I stupidly decide to wash the dishes instead of staying in my room. Honestly, cleaning was the one thing I always did to pass the time. The sudden creak in the floorboards startles me as dad comes creeping down the stairs. I try my best to wash the last dish as fast as I humanly can so that I can make my way back to my room, but as soon as I turn to my hallway, the devil himself is glaring at me, blocking my escape.

"Where do you think you're going, little bitch?" My throat betrays me with a gasp. I clear my throat and as I was going to speak up, he reaches out and grabs a fist full of my hair before tossing me to the ground like a rag doll. "Do you know how fucking annoying it is to come home without a hot meal waiting for me? But you wouldn't know because your brother and your fat ass eat it all!"

Trying to ignore the headache and the bruise forming on my shoulder, I cower away and crawl backwards into the cabinet. Dad launches himself at me, slapping his hands on my upper arms to pull me up forcefully from the floor. I yell out in fear and turn my head so I didn't inhale the horrid aroma of alcohol from his lips.

Mother then slowly walks in and begs barely above a whisper, "Honey, stop." But he doesn't listen. Now is when the extreme panic sets in as I began to claw at his arms to let me go, but he was too strong. "This little bitch thinks she can get away from me." He laughs unemotionally. As I was contemplating my next move, the front door swings open and I was suddenly on the ground again.

"Bastard!" Brian yells at the top of his lungs before pounding his fist into our fathers face. They wrestle for dominance as I slowly stand up in shock. Somehow Brian got under dad and places him in a strong choke hold. "Im gonna fucking kill you!" Brian pants out. Dad struggles against him until he doesn't. My heart races as mom screams out, "What have you done?! He's dead!" She drops to her knees by her fucked up husband, pushes Brian out of the way and brings her lover's head in her lap.

Brian tries to steady his breath as he stands and makes his way over to me. "I wish he was, but unfortunately I just knocked his ass out." I stand there numbly until my brother wraps his arms around me and guides me to my room. He then sits me down on my bed before locking the door and coming back to kneel in front of me. I just sat there and stared at the wall.

"Hey, look at me." Brian whispers. My eyes begin to flutter as tears rise. "Jaelene, I need you to look at me." Finally the tears fall and my eyes shift to his. It was like someone turned on the faucet but there was no sound. No cry. Nothing.

Brian curses softly and sits next to me, cradling me to his chest. "I shouldn't have left. Baby, I'm so sorry." An unearthly cry echoes through the room and I didn't recognize it was mine until Brian shushed and rocked me. "I can't do this anymore." I whimper.

Brian then shoots up and rushes to my closet, pulling out a duffle bag. "Lets go. Get up and pack. I'm getting us out of here." Confused, I slowly stand and take the bag from his hands, "What are you talking about? Bri, what about..."

"Don't worry about anything. Just pack what you need and leave everything else behind." Brian states. He helps me pack some clothes, shoes, and some of my greatest childhood memories. I want to feel anything in this moment, but I'm just drained.