𝟎𝟑𝟕 if retail therapy actually worked, i wouldn't be concussed.

Start from the beginning

For a moment, Paxton smiled. She didn't realize how much it might mean to Lydia. It reminds her of the handful of summer nights where the two would share Lydia's bed while they watched cheesy movies and stuffed their faces with popcorn.

"He had nothing better to do," Paxton guessed, shrugging her shoulders. She turns to Lydia, sharing her smile, watching as the boy behind them rolls his eyes.

"Hey!" he started an attempt at defending himself, but he couldn't. Paxton was right, he had nothing better to do.

Paxton ignores him, keeping her eyes on Lydia. "Besides, I wouldn't exactly say we're having a 'girls day'."

"I could still consider it a girls day," Lydia argued. "I have my girls," she glances up to her mirror to find Allison's face. "And, it's daytime," she shrugged, turning back to the road. "But then, there's Isaac."

He slumps back in his seat beside Allison, and mumbles out, "I can be one of the girls."

He watches as the two in front of him slowly turn to each other, and then to him. Both wearing the same face of smiles and pressed-together eyebrows. A side of his mouth curls with a smile resembling theirs, blissfully unaware of himself. Allison shakes her head beside him, quietly laughing. The simple laughter becomes an avalanche, and soon the whole car is full of hyenas.

Once they settle, Lydia smiles to herself mischievously. "You know, you still owe me money," Lydia reminded him, watching through the mirror as his face falls.

He sits up in his seat quickly, hoping the fast movement distracts Lydia. "Hey, where're we going anyways?" he asked Paxton, leaning over her shoulder.

"Why?" Paxton asked, cutting her eyes over to the boy invading her space. "So you can tell Derek?" she jokingly questioned, her eyes narrowing down on him.

Her mouth falls open for a second before turning into a wide smile. She quickly smacks a hand against his shoulder, and he pretends to take offense by scoffing and flying back into his seat.

"I'd hate to agree with the spy back there, but I would also like to know," said Lydia. She purses her lips, glancing to the map displayed on the screen above the gearshift. "Why did I have to clean out my trunk for Allison's bow?"

"You did what?" Isaac jumped back up in his seat, eyes wide. A look of confusion mixes with his want for telling Derek immediately.

The ride to the furthest corner of the preserve had been bumpy, and full of unannounced surprises. Both Allison and Paxton spent it hiding the truth of their destination, and the reasoning behind it. They knew the others wouldn't approve.

But this had been planned for a while.

What Paxton saw in Allison, she envied. Allison kept herself gracefully brave in the face of danger. That night long ago when Matt Daehler had terrorized the police department, had been the first time Paxton had seen anything like it. Allison didn't falter against the chaos around, she kept her head high and her bow close.

Paxton wanted that, to never be afraid. To have something that gave her power. To be ready for battle at any moment—whether that's with a trained skill in archery, or simply strength in overcoming the shock of being under attack.

Allison wasn't against the idea of showing Paxton a thing or two about weapons, but Chris Argent had banned the use of knives, guns, and bows from their new home. Luckily, Allison knew the hidden codes for the hundreds of safes that stored the artillery.