𝟎𝟐𝟖 between the chaos of it all.

between the chaos of it all.

___

THE WORLD STOOD STILL for an eternity. Screaming could be heard from the distance despite being so close. It just couldn't be heard over the loud ringing in Paxton's ears, not just a normal ringing that she had grown used to in the past few days, no, this was more silent and in the back of her skull. Like a humming that could drown out the chaos happening around her.

And chaos it was.

All she could remember is crashing into her brother, the two collided with a hug that neither planned for. At first, she didn't realize it was him. Not until he had forced her wild stare to notice him by lifting a finger against her chin to raise her head.

"Have you seen Scott?" she asked him after they pulled away from their hug. Frenzied by the crowd around them still screaming as they exit the field.

He shook his head. "You seen Jackson?"

Jackson.

How could she have forgotten? Did admitting her love for Stiles really blur the terrifying memory that Jackson had been playing the game or is she too overwhelmed to keep up?

It seems as though she's full of all the troubles of the supernatural and it's beginning to all spew out. She's losing track or simply just losing her mind.

A girl screams as if her life depends on it, this time it no longer sounding distant. Instead, it could be heard from just a few feet away from the siblings.

It's at that time when the lights turn back on. One by one, taking their sweet time to light the field.

There's dust clouding the air around them, trampled footsteps break the surface of the freshly cut grass. Only a few families remain. The rest had ran away with the crowd that left when things got bad.

"Jackson!" Charlie shouted, his wide-eyed gaze landing on a body lying in the center of the field.

Charlie rushes to him, tears quick to sting his eyes as they mix with the cold air and dust.

He collapses onto the ground beside the lifeless boy, holding onto him for dear life. "Jackson, wake up," he begged with a gently tug on the boys body.

Standing behind him, Paxton watches as more people notice Jackson. She finds Scott first, already hurrying to the scene with his mother at his side.

"Please, please wake up."

"Get out of the way!" Coach yelled as he runs to Jackson, pushing worried players out of the way without a care. "Back off!" he added once he steps into the circle forming around Jackson, Charlie, and Paxton.

He pushes everyone back, telling them to give Jackson some space. As he does, Scott and Melissa meet Paxton's side. He's quick to hold onto Paxton, pulling her into him with an arm wrapped around her shoulder. Sensing that she could use some comfort just as badly as everyone else around.

His mom lowers to ground beside Charlie, gently forcing him off of Jackson so she could check his pulse. A pulse she couldn't find.