Chapter 15: My Friends Over You

A/N: It took a little longer than I would've liked, but the final chapter is here. Enjoy.

~

"Thanks again for the ride, man." I say as I climb into the passenger side of Caden's car, brushing the snow off of my hair and jacket. Jules was out sick again today, and Caden offered to drive me home so I didn't have to walk. Thank god for that. We ended up having an early dismissal because it started snowing pretty hard. The weather's been calling for a snowstorm all week, and it seems like it's finally hit us. We were supposed to get out early tomorrow too because Christmas break starts next week, but given how shitty the weather currently is, I've got a feeling that they're just going to end up closing school.

"No need to thank me, just helping a buddy out." He replies as he brushes off the thin layer of snow that had gathered on his windshield, then climbs into the car. "Man, I don't know about you, but I fucking hate winter." He complains as he brushes the flecks of snow off of his hair. I have more of a love-hate relationship with winter.

The ride home is quiet and takes a little longer than usual because the plow trucks haven't been out yet. "So, I know it's a little early to be asking, but you're going over to Jules's on New Year's, right?" Caden pipes up once we've pulled up to my house. Why would I? What's he talking about?

"She was talking about having a party. Did she not tell you? 'Cause she told me and the girls."

New Year's Eve party...oh, right, now that I think about it, I remember Jules mentioning it to me a few days ago. "No, she told me, it just slipped my mind. Did you really think I'd skip out on it or something?" I ask.

He laughs. "I think you'd be an idiot for skipping out. It'd be pretty weird for Jules to tell us and not you, but I just figured I'd bring it up." Yeah, that would be pretty weird, wouldn't it?

"I'll definitely be there. Thanks again for the ride, see you whenever. And be careful driving." I grab my backpack and step out of the warmth of the car into the freezing cold air. I wait until Caden drives off, then walk up to the front door. The driveway's covered with snow, I'll have to help Grandma shovel it later.

A New Year's Eve party at Jules's house, that sounds like it'll be a good time. We never do anything special for New Year's. But It's not for almost two weeks, I've got plenty of time to get ready for it.

~

It's a little over three hours into the party. Me, Caden, Nia and Stella are here, along with a few of their other friends. Claire's also here, much to my surprise. I would've thought she'd be out with her friends. We've been talking more lately than we have in years, and she's actually been nice the whole time. When she apologized for everything and said she wanted to try being friends, she really meant it.

I'm walking to the kitchen to grab a drink. Everyone else is gathered in the living room, talking and laughing. There's several bottles of soda, a few boxes of pizza with various toppings and a couple containers of wings all set up neatly on the counter. I grab a plastic cup from the stack on the table and fill it with cream soda, then take a paper plate and grab a slice of buffalo chicken pizza. I hear footsteps approaching, and I look up to see Nia enter the room. She gives me a half-smile, then opens one of the wing containers, placing a few on a plate.

I smirk at her. "Saw you talking to Claire earlier, never thought there'd be a day that happened." I tease and take a sip of my drink. Not just Nia, I'm pretty sure I saw Stella talking to her earlier too. I'm sure they're not actually becoming friends, but the thought is pretty amusing.

"Oh, trust me, if you told me a couple months ago that one day, I'd be at a party with Claire Eriksen and she isn't a complete bitch anymore? I would've looked at you like you were fucking crazy." She tells me with a short giggle, then takes a bite out of one of the wings. I can't help but laugh along with her. I can't blame her, if someone told me a couple months ago that me and Claire would be on our way to becoming friends again, I'd think they were pretty crazy too.