Chapter 7: The Party

It's finally Saturday, the day of the party. The plan is for me, Caden, Nia and Stella to meet up at Jules's house, then we'll head to the party from there. We all agreed to be there by seven. It's almost six-thirty, I'm currently lying in bed, Evanescence blasting in my headphones, and I'm not at all ready.

I don't think I've ever felt this nervous for something in my life. I keep telling myself not to stress out over it, that it won't be that bad, but I have this weird feeling in my gut that something's going to go wrong. Of course, there's always a possibility that I'm just being paranoid and getting myself worked up over nothing. Wouldn't be the first time.

My phone starts ringing, cutting off the absolute beauty that is Amy Lee's voice. I let out an annoyed sigh and look over at the screen. Caden's calling me. Weird, he doesn't usually call, normally he just texts me. I put "What You Want" on pause and answer the call.

"Hey, what's up?" I greet him, sitting up a little.

"What's up?" His voice is full of disbelief. "We've got a party to get to! Me and the girls are here, where the hell you at?"

"You promised us you were coming, it's too late for you to back out now, Hannah." Stella's voice rings out through the speaker. She must've taken Caden's phone.

She's got a point. I did promise to come, I really can't back out of it now. I sigh and climb out of bed. "I know, I know, relax. I'm not backing out, I'm just...still getting ready." I lie and stand up, walking over to my dresser.

There's some kind of shuffling noise on the other end, and I can faintly hear Caden say "Give me my phone, Stel" and Stella laughing. "You're just like Jules, you both take a fucking century to get ready. We agreed to leave at seven, get a move on." Caden tells me, his voice clearer now.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm almost done, I'm gonna head out in a little bit. I'll see you guys soon." I say and hang up. Okay, time to see how fast I can get ready. I change into a plain black tank top with the blue flannel I bought yesterday over it, black skinny jeans and Converse, and quickly do my makeup. I check myself in the mirror: my eyeliner's a little crooked from how fast I put it on, but everything else looks good. I slip my phone into my pocket and rush downstairs.

I peek my head into the living room, where Grandma's watching the evening news. "I'm heading out now." I tell her. She turns her head and smiles at me.

"Okay, honey, have a good time. Text me when you're leaving, and please be careful." There's a faint look of worry in her eyes. I give her a small smile and nod, then head outside. I got ready in record time, but will I make it to Jules's house in time? Time to find out.

~

I knock on the door, still struggling to catch my breath. Almost immediately after, the door swings open, and I'm greeted by Caden, who's got a big, dopey grin on his face.

"You made it!" He greets me cheerfully, wrapping his arm around my shoulders and pulling me in for a quick hug as I step inside, closing the door behind me. I hug him back, still trying to catch my breath. Goddamn, I don't think I've ever run that fast in my life.

"Barely. You're looking good." I compliment him when I finally manage to steady my breathing. He's got on a black and white flannel hoodie over a plain black shirt, dark blue jeans and white Vans. Nothing fancy, but he pulls it off.

"Well, duh. I always look good, you don't have to remind me." He tells me. I roll my eyes and he starts laughing. "Kidding, kidding. You look nice too."

I pull my phone out to check the time: six-fifty seven. At least I made it on time. We walk to the living room. Stella's sitting on the couch with her feet propped up on the coffee table, and Nia's in the chair next to her applying mascara, using her phone as a mirror.