sixteen

XVI. DJ Present

AUSTIN: October 2023

Mia's Austin Show: Mia was not used to not have Lando there. But he did say he wouldn't be there. It was weird not hearing or seeing him.

She knew that the fans would take notice how DJ Lando wasn't there. She knew there would be speculations but she didn't want to force him to be there. The point of the distance was to be able to do great things without depending on each other.

So, despite her heart hammering because of nerves, she stayed where she was. Mia had asked Mich to hold her phone, she didn't want to take any chances.

And Lando would be off to the next race anyways. She jumped when she felt a hand on her shoulder.

Turning around, she let out a breath of relief when she realized it was Noah. The tall singer chuckled, "Jumpy?" She gave him a tight lipped smile, "A little."

Noah sent her a look and she sighed, she crossed her arms, "Its just... it's the first time Lando isn't here." She admitted.

He frowned at her and patted her head as he pulled her into a hug, "Aww, its okay. You did invite him." He said. She huffed and nodded, wrapping her arms around his torso. He continued to pet her head, "What a bastard, not coming to your show." He joked.

Mia laughed and hit his arm, "Let's go." She said. The two walked to where Mich was. She was handed her mic and let out a breath, "Du schaffst das." The older Vettel said.

The singer smiled at her and ran to the stage.

Unbeknownst to her, as she was singing her songs, vibing with the crowd. Lando did arrive, just in time for her to sing the new song.

The same song that she had finished writing and recorded. The same song that Noah challenged her in doing. The same song that was dedicated to him. His last song.

Lando stood there, not by the VIP section, not by the stage with Mich, but there. In the crowd, with the fans, the crowd that was jumping and cheering her on.

He stood there watching her as she sang her heart out. Like she always did.

He goes about his day

Forgets he ever even heard my name

Well, I thought you might be different

Than the rest, I guess you're all the same

The Brit driver tilted his head as he watched her. She was amazing. Like she always was.

'Cause I hear he's got his arm 'round a brand-new girl

I've been picking up my heart, he's been picking up her

And I never got past what you put me through

But it's wonderful to see that it never fazed you

For the first time, Lando felt something. He didn't know what it was. But he felt this aching feeling in his heart.

"Hi Mimi..." he whispered in the air. Hoping that it would reach her. But it didn't. He watched as she finished the song. Turning to side, smiling. The one that reached her eyes. Moving a bit to get a glimpse on who it was, the ache became stronger.