Vol. 7 Chp. 2: Family Reunion

Start from the beginning

"The reception office? What do you need to talk about that you brought me here? It's still too early for a career consultation, right?"

"You'll understand soon enough."

I attempted to make a joke, but it appears that she will not answer a student's question. However, instead of being curious about what's beyond the door, I'm more interested in Chabashira-sensei's behavior. 

She seems almost agitated, which is unusual for her. If it were a teacher who usually behaves like this, I wouldn't be as surprised. Nevertheless, Chabashira-sensei knocked on the room door without realizing the doubts I was harboring.

"Headmaster. I've brought Ayanokouji Kiyotaka-kun".

Headmaster, huh? It should be someone a student like me would have no reason to interact with from enrollment until graduation.

"Please enter," I heard a gentle voice but a dignified one befitting his age. And Chabashira-sensei opened the door to the reception office.

A man was sitting on the sofa, and he wasn't wearing a laidback expression; instead, I could see beads of sweat forming on his forehead.

And there's one more person opposite him. I'm sure of it now. That's why I was called out here.

"Now then, the two of you can have your conversation... you don't mind, do you?".

"Of course not".

"I'll be taking my leave, so please feel free to take your time. If you'll excuse me."

The man sitting across from the headmaster appears to be in his 40s. Despite the age gap, the headmaster acted politely and left immediately.

"Then I'll also excuse myself..."

Chabashira-sensei also bowed before the man and left together with the headmaster. I couldn't ignore that she appeared worried at her last glance towards me. As the door closed, the only sound I could hear was the faint noise of the heating system. I stood still without saying anything while the man spoke quietly.

"How about you sit down? I'm meeting up with you of my own accord after all."

It's been one ye... no... one and a half years since I've heard this man's voice.

His way of speaking and tone hasn't changed at all.

Not that I specifically wanted him to, anyway.

"I'm not planning on holding a long conversation that requires me to sit down; I have planned on meeting some friends later."

"Friends? Don't make me laugh. You aren't capable of such things."

He hasn't seen how I live yet but still judges his statement as accurate. I believe he is right; that's typical of him.

"Whether we talk together now or not will amount to nothing."

"So I can assume that I got a favorable answer? If that's so, there's no need to talk anymore. I'm also busy and have some time to come after all."

He didn't pay me any attention while arriving at his conclusion.

"I don't know what the answer you want is."

"I have prepared the papers for you to drop out. I was talking about it with the headmaster earlier. You have to say "yes," then we can be done with it."

He saw my intention to gloss it over and went directly to the main topic.

"I see no reason why I should."

"That may be so for you, but I have some alone."

He looked at me for the first time.

His sharp gaze has not diminished with age; it seems to have only increased. His pupils are like sharpened blade edges as if he can see right into the core of things. Many people have likely felt assaulted by his piercing stare, but I met it head-on.