Chapter Thirty-Nine

AVERY, GEORGIA AND GINNY were at the Baker house, as all the mothers of MAANG were making latkes. "Mm. This is so amazing," remarked Nancy Littman. "I go all out," admitted Ellen, smiling bashfully. Avery took another bite of hers, chewing with a satisfied look on her face. "Mrs. B, you've outdone yourself," she mumbled. Ellen chuckled.

"Thank you so much for hosting this year. It's been a tough one." At Mrs. Littman's words, Avery grabbed Abby's hand. "Love you, mama."

"I love you too, mama. Hey, mama, our friend Brodie is having people over," chimed Max in, "I thought-"

"No."

Avery choked on her Latke, sputtering in laughter, as Norah's mom, Bev, asked if they had apologised to Georgia for the party. Abby, Max and Norah all looked like deers in headlights as they apologised. Georgia all of a sudden looked very serious. "Don't let it happen again."

Ginny and Avery shared a look, before looking to Georgia who shrugged. "This is amazing," remarked Nancy. "These Latkes are lit," added Ellen on. "Oh, mom, no." Maxine looked disgusted, almost. Avery and Abby gave Max a look. Max noticed the raised brow from Avery's side. She chuckled; "Yes, so lit. You're so cool, mom."

Ellen gave a short laugh. "You're still grounded."

"Okay."

Georgia changed the subject. "Did you ladies hear I got into the Neighbourhood club?" She smiled as the other moms cheered her on. "Does anyone want more lemonade?" Avery's phone buzzed in her pocket and she grabbed it. It was Sophia. Again. "Do you remember when, Max, Avery, Abby and Norah had that lemonade stand?"

The aforementioned girls chuckled. "Oh, yes, it was very creative," replied Beth. Avery snorted. "Do you remember our song?"

"When you're in the desert
And it's really hot
Lemonade will hit the spot
Lemonade will cool you down
So come and get it right now"

They all laughed as they finished. "Hey, mom, remember our lemonade stand?" asked Ginny, looking at Georgia. "Except we didn't have any lemons, so we used the lemon squeeze bottle, and then you'd write on the sign, 'freshly squeezed, organic.'"

Georgia placed her hand on Ginny's shoulder. "Yeah. Kids are so funny. I'm so happy to have them." Avery smiled bitterly. "Unlike the devil who's come back to town."

Ginny finished her lemonade. "And then our racist trailer park neighbour told me I was loitering."

All of them stopped what they were doing, as Georgia's smile tightened. "Thank you, Ginny, for sharing that cherished childhood memory." Nancy perked up. "Oh, speaking of childhood, did you hear about Mr. Adams."