Chapter One

AVERY RANDOLPH WALKED ONTO the driveway that belonged to the Baker family, only to see Ellen Baker scream at Marcus. From what she could gather, the teen boy had smoked on the side of the road, while there were cops and he seemed indifferent about it. "Should I come back later?" she asked, causing Ellen to sigh and smile a strained smile. "No, of course not. Maybe you could influence him to be better. You've always been a smart girl."

The teen held back a snort. Yeah, right. Marcus and Avery had dated since ninth grade. He had introduced the girl to weed and that was all they did. Avery didn't want to move on to more hard drugs and if she did, she wasn't even sure where she'd get it. Avery shook her head, feeling the weight of the eyedrops in her pocket. "Marcus," she scolded, as she saw how red rimmed his eyes were. "Sorry Aves," he replied with a cheeky grin. "You're grounded." Avery looked at Ellen. Marcus just stared at his mom, his lips slightly parted. Ellen was slowly losing it. "Acknowledge me, damn it!" she snapped. "All right, I'm grounded," he stated with a chuckle and grasped Avery's hand. But before he could get far, he stopped again; "When's dinner though? 'Cause I'm really hungry," he added on.

Ellen just screamed, hands above her head. Avery didn't want to laugh, she really didn't, but she couldn't help the small clearing of her throat as they walked inside.

"Hey, Maxi!" yelled Avery as they passed her room and she replied with a 'hi' of her own. They continued to Marcus' room and then laid down on the bed, legs tangled together. Avery had made sure to lock the door after they entered. "Let's sneak out, later," she stated. Marcus furrowed his brows. "I'm grounded Aves."

Avery's lips quirked into a smirk. "Never stopped you before though," she replied.

THAT NIGHT, THEY BOTH climbed out of the window and down the bricked wall, holding onto the vine growing on the house. They felt eyes on them and looked up to see a girl in the window next door. Her skin was kind of dark, but not completely and her hair was a cloud of curls. Both of them saluted her and she ducked down. Avery snickered, digging out her skateboard that she had left in Ellen's bushes.

They left for the skatepark and Marcus helped her fine tune some things. She squealed when she managed to get over a small bump, with her board. "Yes!" her voice was loud and her arms were above her head. Marcus just grinned as he fished out a joint from his pocket.