Chapter Twenty-Seven

AVERY SIGHED AS SHE followed Paul into the hallway

AVERY SIGHED AS SHE followed Paul into the hallway. Patricia and Whit followed them, wanting to have a word now that Georgia wasn't in sight. Paul cleared his throat as he grabbed Avery's coat, helping her put it on and then putting on his own.

"Paul. . ." trailed Patricia off, giving him a stern look. Avery scoffed lowly. "Guys, it's been a great day. Can we not do this?" asked Paul. "She comes with baggage, huh?" mumbled Whit.

Avery frowned, "it's not baggage, pop."

"You two are from different backgrounds," added Whit on, as Patricia enquired, "how stable is she? She moves around a lot, there are multiple fathers. . ."

They were completely out of line. "You guys are unbelievable!" hissed Avery, as she adjusted her coat sleeves, buttoning it up. "This is the kind of woman you have fun with." Whit chuckled at his own words. "That's not the woman you marry."

"She doesn't have her kids for Thanksgiving? There's something off about that."

"Mom, don't go there," whispered Paul. "At least she's not Sophia, showing up, just to take off. Georgia stays with her kids, because she loves them, not because she gets a thrill out of hurting them," supplied Avery, her voice raising a bit.

Avery went ignored. "Her kids are going to be your kids. Have you thought about that?"

"Yeah, mom, I've thought about it. I've thought about all of it. I love her, love her kids. I'm marrying her," replied Paul. "This is marriage, and this is huge, and you're attaching yourself to that woman forever." Whit's words made Avery's stomach churn. "Now, I have nothing against her, but this, this is not the woman for you. Not like Sophia was." Avery clenched her jaw. "She's very pretty, I can give her that."

"This conversation's over," decided Paul. "Could you at least call Sophia-"

"The only time I will be calling that witch who calls herself my mother, is when I've lost my mind, Grams."

Georgia came around the corner, stuffing container in her hands. "Hey," said Paul. "It was so lovely meeting you," remarked Georgia. "Really, I can't wait to join your beautiful family."

The blonde walked in between Patricia and Whit, allowing Paul to help her with her coat. Georgia placed one hand on Avery's shoulder and then they made a turn to leave.

"Happy Thanksgiving."

···

IT WAS FRIDAY.

THERE was a standing tradition that Max would host a 'post thanksgiving brunch' at her house and they'd each bring an individual food.