Chapter XXXVIII

The west wing of the mansion was a noticeably quiet place, especially in mornings, making it so easy to hear the chirping of birds sitting on trees in the gardens outside the windows.

Not this morning though.

Sophie woke up to the sound of Eva hustling and bustling around her temporary room, the one she chose to stay in after her rescue, as she moved things around with the help of an army of maids.

Additionally, the sounds of hammers and electrical drills sounded outside the house, making sleep disappear from Sophie's to-do list. With a groan and a stretch, Sophie woke up to see half of her room emptied.

"Good morning, Donna." Eva greeted, bowing alongside all the other maids in respect. Sophie made sure to shoot her a discreet glare. Eva simply shrugged and pointed towards all the other maids in the room. "You may leave."

As the last maid closed the door behind her, Sophie turned to Eva with a wide grin and outstretched arms. "Good morning. Haven't I asked you a billion times to not bow?"

Eva let out a laugh before walking over to the young woman and engulfing her in an embrace. "I had to. The Don would have my head if he found out I wasnt following the rules in front of them. I'm only an exception because of you." She said as she patted Sophie head.

"Could you explain the noise?" She asked while getting up from her bed.

Eva continued packing Sophie's belongings. "Firstly, there's construction going on in the gardens for a new storage room that may hold some shipments in the future. While this noise is because you're moving rooms" She gestured to the packed boxes.

"I overextended my stay in this room, didnt I?" Sophie snickered as she grabbed a small blanket from her couch before covering herself with it.

"No." Eva turned away, trying to hide her smile. "It was the Don's orders to move you back immediately. Seems like loneliness no longer suits our Don."

Sophie could not stop her smile from becoming wider as a red tint covered her cheeks. Her feet tapped slightly on the floor, trying to contain her joy as she remembered the events that had occurred the night before.

"As of right now, you need to leave this room because we'll be moving all your belongings, and you can't go back to your room yet as we are preparing it." Eva gently pushed Sophie out of the room.

With a blanket wrapped around her, Sophie stood in her satin shorts and tank top in front of her room's door. "So, I'm room-less now?" She said, despair evident in her voice at the prospect of not having a place to continue her sleep in.

"Well..." Eva's eyes held a glint of mischief. "The Don is currently in his office. Maybe he knows a spare room you can use."

Before Sophie could hear the end of her sentence, she was setting off towards Alexi's office, planning to take refuge on his couch as a punishment for kicking her out of her own room.

"Morning!" She yawned as she passed Ivan, who stood guard in front of his Don's office.

He slightly bowed before taking the AK47 he previously held against his chest and placing it behind his back.

"I'm not scared of guns..." Sophie smiled as she raised a brow.

Putting the gun's strap over his head, Ivan was able to sign a reply. "Don's orders. No symbols of violence when you're around." Ivan signed, his face hidden by his balaclava, but the twinkle in his eyes showed his hidden urge to laugh.

A groan left her lips before pointing towards the office's door, asking for permission. Ivan nodded his head and moved to knock on the door before opening it. Sophie walked inside the large office with a slight hop to her step.