Chapter XXX - Part II

"Go on." Sebastian drawled and she had to resist the urge to hurl the gun at his face and see what damage it would do.

Come take my place if you dont like how slow I am! She wanted to yell. Only you would rush towards your death. Stupid fucking croissant.

As fast as she could with her shaking hands, Sophie turned the revolver before closing the gun and prayed to God that the bullet is nowhere near the barrel. "I'm sorry." She whispered before pulling the trigger.

She did not know why she apologized, despite wishing that Alexi felt the same pain she felt in the past month. She did not know why she gasped in relief, tears falling from her eyes as gun powder from the previous bullet was released and nothing else.

Maybe it was becuase she saw the scar on his face and his scarred skin and realized that she wasnt the only one that was hurting. Or maybe what she felt towards him was not strong enough to wish his death.

"What's your question?" he leaned back in his seat.

I could possibly die in minutes when he holds the gun. Sophie told herself. I'd mental not to ask him.

"Why did you treat me that way in the dinner party. You were fine that morning. What happened that made you switch up so fast?" Her voice was loud enough to be heard by Alexi, but it was not loud as she hoped it would be.

She wanted him to hear the agony and anger she felt. Instead, all he heard in her voice was the sadness.

A moment passed before he spoke. "I had received intel about your betrayal in that meeting. Turns out you were collaborating with him behind my back. Who knew little Mrs. Dimitri had the balls to do that?"

"You fucking idio-" She put her hands on the table to stand but was immediately stopped by Sebastian.

"Uh uh." he warned her. "The game must go on." Sebastian moved back to his spot, allowing Sophie to sat back down. She turned to Alexi and shook her head in denial.

Her eyes found Dominik; a silent plead within them.

She heard the gun's revolver clicking back into place. Alexi had his gun raised towards her. Sophie's heart seemed to stop pumping blood into her body. She sent a silent prayer and closed her eyes.

The trigger went off.

Alexi did not hesitate when he pulled the gun. He knew the bullet was not in the correct spot. He couldnt let her die yet when he wanted to find out more. He slid the gun towards her before leaning back in his chair to ask her his question.

He could hear when the revolver clicks into the correct spot with the bullet meeting the barrel, and if it does click, he could shake the revolver quickly to move it one place over. But when it came to Sophie, he had no control of where the bullet rests.

All he could do was just wish to the stars. In his defense, they listened most of the time.

"Why did you work with him? We've seen the text messages between you and him, the bank transactions with a French account, and the security footage of you leaving the night of the party." Alexi asked the question that has been plaguing everyone's minds.

"I can't tell you. The only thing I can tell you is that I used the money from your black card to buy something." That was the only loophole she could find in Sebastian's words.

As long as Alexi is concerned, you willingly worked with me, he had said. You willingly gave up information about your husband's plan and you agreed to come with me the day of the party.

While trying to avoid Alexi's scrutinizing gaze, Sophie noticed yellow smoke seeping into the room. Oh shit. "The gas is leaking into the room!" She exclaimed. All the men in the room turned to look and to thier dismay the gas did enter the room. They all scrambled to cover thier face to not inhale the smoke.