Chapter IV

What a dumbass, he thought he could beat me in hide and seek. Sophie wondered sometimes if she had a death wish, and she proved to herself that she did. What were you thinking, Soph? Angering a man who's nine-to-five job is to kill.

Despite what she had been told about the Russian leader, she couldn't but help laugh at the fact that they forgot to mention he was bad at hide and seek. Not only that, but they also forgot to mention how human he was. Even though he was distant and reserved, he showed her nothing but respect, even after she threw flour at him in front of his maids and cooks.

As much as she felt guilty, she did not regret doing it. The look on his face could be sold for millions because of how clumsy he looked and because of how handsome his face was. You don't see the Russian Don wearing a 'clumsy' look on his face every day. Nonetheless, the guilt from embarrassing him still ate away at her as she sat on the seat to the right of the head of the table, where her very husband was sitting. Around the table were five other chairs, two beside Sophie and three on the other side of the table.

No one was equal to the Don so they could sit across from him, except his wife. According to the Russian mafia's traditions, she is to sit closest to her husband, not so far away from him, that's why there was no seat across from Alexi.

The five other seats were occupied by the Don's underbosses, military advisor, and head of guards. Sophie felt like the head of guards was a bit familiar, but she couldn't pinpoint what's familiar about him. The dinner table was silent, with only the sound of the maids bringing in the food filling that silence.

Eva came in with all the carts that have the dinner dishes on them and started placing them in the middle of the table. All Sophie could look at was the food she helped made. What if it tasted bad? She knew she could cook, but doubt loved to creep in. The maids slowly left the dinner hall, but before Eva could leave, Sophie spoke up. "Thank you, Eva." A warm smile graced the woman's face as she bowed slightly. Sophie got confused as to why she did bow, but she realized it was because Alexi was there.

The Head of guards turned towards Eva before she closed the dinner hall's door and signed something in RSL. Eva replied with a 'you're welcome,' making the man nod his head before he turned back towards the table. He was greeted with Sophie's smiling face and the rest of the men's frowning faces.

They believe they're superior.

Alexi ignored them all and started gathering food on his plate. He took some of the shrimp bread and was about to eat it straight from the spoon. Sophie interjected, stopping him from eating the spread. "That's not how you eat it. Here, take this." She gave him a piece of chopped bread and told him to spread the shrimp butter on it.

Alexi knew this was Sophie's dish, but he had no clue it was going to taste the way it did. His eyes widened as he took a bite. This woman can cook, he thought. Sophie smiled at his shocked face. I guess he has a thing for 'clumsy' facial expressions. The Don and Donna continued eating in silence, not noticing the sneaked looks they were getting from the rest of the guests. If Alexi was confused as to why he reacted like that, his underbosses were even more confused.

Since the moment she came, I haven't been able to control my emotions. I knew she added more of that cursed flour in her food. Alexi groaned in his mind. He wanted to confirm his suspicions, so he asked the new Donna, "Is there any flour in this?" He pointed at the shrimp butter.

Sophie raised a brow, "No, it has butter blended with chopped shrimp and some spices. Why? Are you allergic to any of them?" Her motherly nature seeped in as she leaned towards his face to try to notice any redness or symptoms of an allergic reaction.