Chapter IX

"I'm so happy I could kick you with my foot right now!" Sophie yelled in joy as Maria removed her ankle brace. Alexi stood in front of his wife with an exhausted face. Taking care of Sophie for a week was his worst mistake.

For seven days straight, Sophie made sure her husband learns the weight of his promises by putting herself in danger at every chance she found. She wanted to truly test his limits and see if he was a man of his word, and it turns out that Alexi Dimitri's word is set in stone.

Faking a fall down the stairs or a cut from a knife were some of the smaller tricks Sophie played, and because Alexi couldn't differentiate the fake stunts from the real ones, he had to save her and protect her every time. Whether it was almost falling in the pool and not being able to swim with a broken ankle or if it was a shelf of books falling on her while she was hopping around his office as he worked. He still saved her every time.

And every time, both felt immense emotions. Alexi's were mostly frustration and exhaustion while Sophie's were excitement and thrill. It wasn't everyday that a world renounced murderer saved people. He usually wanted them to die. So, Sophie enjoyed every moment she made him suffer because it was her form of revenge and because she loved the idea of him always being there for her.

For that week, Alexi never left Sophie's side and attended to her every need, no matter how stupid it was, and because the room only fits one bed, he slept on the couch. Although Sophie offered that they share a bed plenty of times, Alexi declined because his form was too big for the bed and because he wanted to cuddle his wife like he always did before but was afraid to hurt her ankle.

The staff and employees that worked in the Dimitri mansion witnessed a side to the смерть с косой that they only saw in the previous Don, Nikolai, whenever he was with his wife Anastasia. They say, 'like father like son.'

[Grim reaper]

"I'm going to have to Sophie-proof the mansion so that you don't hurt yourself again. I can't stand to have another week like that." Alexi groaned as Maria massaged an ointment all over Sophie's foot. The Doctor saw behind his façade. The man would raise hell if anything happened to his wife. The week he spent caring for her as she attended online classes for her last semester did something to his psyche.

He is still the Russian Don without a doubt, the guards that were victims to his wrath this week could attest to that, but when he was with Sophie, he completely shifted to Alexi.

Just Alexi.

"Oh, you liar! You would do anything to be around me." The young woman teased her husband who scoffed and turned away from her to hide a small knowing smile.

He truly did enjoy being around her. Putting aside all the annoying habits that she had like talking non-stop and arguing with him on a regular basis, he was enthralled by her intellect and opinions. For a twenty-year-old woman, she seemed so wise, like she has gone through a million lives.

She openly speaks about controversial historic moments and openly admits when she changes her opinion after listening to Alexi's. However, the most enthralling thing about her wasn't her love for the color brown and the warmth it radiates or the way she gave attention to details whenever she converses with Alexi, but it was the honesty in her words.

It was one of the values that Alexi cherished and to find it in his wife was probably one of the rare moments of luck in his life. Sophie, on the other hand, realized how paralleling their personalities were. Both were pure hotheads that had a thirst for knowledge. Both strived to succeed in their life, and both chose the moon over the sun when Eva asked which they would rather see in the sky forever.