Chapter 67

Chapter 67
Li Zan held Song Ran's hand, supported the railing, and finally walked up the last step in front of the Civil Affairs Bureau.
He gasped slightly, with a slight flush on his cheeks.  Song Ran took out a tissue and wiped the thin sweat from his lips.
He let her take care of him, his calm eyes covering her.
The summer morning sun shone warmly on her face. She wore light makeup today, her eyes were bright and her eyebrows were slender, her complexion became fairer and softer, her cheeks had a touch of light red, and she also applied lip gloss on her lips.  Her long, soft hair is spread loosely, with one side of her hair tucked behind her ear.
"Ranran."
"Huh?" She raised her eyes, her eyes were clear and watery.
"Have you thought about it?" he asked.  Even though he was sure, he wanted to hear what she had to say.
"What do you think?" She rolled her eyes at him.
He pursed his lips, the corners of his lips curved.
She asked back: "What about you? Have you thought about it?"
He smiled a little shyly and his eyes were crooked: "I've been thinking about it for a long time."
"That's okay." She leaned close to him affectionately and held his hand.  He was wearing a white shirt today, and his figure was thin but upright. She whispered, "A-Zan, you look really good today."
   "The same to you."
She also wore a white shirt, specially coming to take pictures later.
They arrived early and were the first couple to register their marriage today.  The staff of the Civil Affairs Bureau warmly received them. When they received the information, they were surprised and said: "Oh, the first couple today is actually a military wedding. I wish you a happy marriage, congratulations."
Song Ran said: "Thank you."
The two handed in their information, filled out the form and signed the form, and went to take photos in front of the red background wall.
Song Ran said: "Please give us a better picture."
"You guys look great in any photo. I haven't seen such a good-looking newcomer here for a long time."
Song Ran insisted: "Please take a few more photos, I want to choose the best one."
   "OK, no problem."
Li Zan and Song Ran smiled at each other and looked at the camera.
Sure enough, every picture is beautiful.  In front of the red background, the two people in white shirts are clean and young, their heads are slightly closer to each other, and they have sweet smiles on their faces.
Song Ran secretly glanced at Li Zan in the photo. His eyes were bright and he had a beautiful smile.
They will get their marriage certificate soon.
"Li Zan" and "Song Ran", their names were printed on it, and the photos were stamped with steel stamps.  Recognized by the state as legal husband and wife.

Song Ran caressed the certificate, feeling so full of emotions that it was hard for words. She looked up at him, and he was also staring at the marriage certificate, stroking her name with his fingers.
"A-Zan, today is the wedding. It's just the two of us."
She doesn’t want any more weddings, no more irrelevant people.
As long as he is present and holds the marriage certificate, it is a wedding.
That afternoon, Song Ran took Li Zan back to Jiangcheng and went to the countryside.
It is midsummer, and the trees on the country roads are lush, blocking out the sky and the sun.  Cicadas chirped tirelessly on the treetops, and sparrows jumped in the vegetable fields.
Canals are crisscrossed, and ponds are like mirrors.  A large expanse of green extends to the horizon, and the fields are filled with various crops, including rice, sugar cane, peas, cucumbers...
The countryside is vast and sparsely populated, with a hut placed across a rice field.  Every household is placed in a pastoral painting.
Li Zan's condition is no longer suitable for living in the city. In addition to going to Jiangcheng Military Hospital for regular physical examinations, he will live in the countryside the rest of the time.
Li Zan's uncle moved to the city the year before last. The house in the countryside was empty, right next to Li Zan's grandparents' house, separated by half an acre of fields and a pond.
Standing in front of the house and looking up, there are endless green fields as far as the eye can see. A field path covered with tree shades stretches from near to far, extending to the horizon.  There seems to be a row of country houses in the fields in the distance, and at the farther end, rows of woods disappear on the horizon, their dense outlines like ink paintings.
Song Ran finished packing her luggage and said that she would find time to renovate and decorate it, and replace it with some new furniture.
Li Zan said: "I'll tell dad."
The next day, Li Qingchen brought a group of his fellow designers and architects over. The group looked around the house, asked the couple about their decoration and renovation requirements, and quickly made a design plan. Taking advantage of the summer,  Construction started.
Li Zan and Song Ran moved to his grandparents' house for a while.
His grandparents are sixty or seventy years old. They have worked in the fields for a long time and their bodies are very strong.
Li Zan said that his father wanted to bring his two elders to live in the city, but the old man couldn't get used to it and said it was more comfortable in the countryside.
Of course the countryside is comfortable.  Dogs and cats are fighting in the field, ducks are swimming in the ditch in groups, their wing feathers are cutting a water chestnut; chickens are chasing hens in the fields, and dead branches and leaves are covered with down.
Song Ran lived with the old man for a while and said, "A-Zan, I discovered a secret."
"What?" At that time, the two of them were walking on the ridge of the field covered with shades of trees. The orange trees on the roadside were covered with green fruits, and Li Zan was picking oranges for her.
"Both your and dad's personalities are inherited."
   "Ah?"
"Grandpa is so gentle and very kind to grandma. He speaks softly and has a good temper. He holds grandma's hand every time they go for a walk. Last night, we were enjoying the cool air on the bamboo bed, and he even used a banana fan to fan grandma. Oh, by the way, I saw this the day before yesterday grandpa secretly picked a flower and pinned it to grandma’s hair.”
Li Zan said with a smile: "You are indeed a reporter, observe carefully."
"Didn't you notice?"
"Maybe I'm used to it and don't pay that much attention." He peeled off the green-skinned orange and gave her a piece.
Song Ran shook her head and bared her teeth: "It makes me feel sour at first sight."
He smiled lightly: "This tree has grown for many years, and it has produced sweet oranges since I was a child."
So she tried it and stuffed it into her mouth. It was sweet and juicy: "It's delicious."
Li Zan gave her the rest.
After passing a ditch, he picked up some fresh small water chestnuts and peeled them for her to eat.
The summer breeze caressed her, and she ate contentedly. She followed him around the fields, letting him find game for her along the way.
"A-Zan, did you often come to the countryside when you were a child?"
"The summer vacation was spent here. Swim in the pond, catch fish, dig lobsters, and crabs." He said, and his childhood days appeared like frames in the waves of the pond, like a dream.
The oranges, the shade, the water chestnuts, her smiling face, everything that happened just now shone in the reflection of the water.  The waves are rippling and fragile.
He looked at the water quietly and saw a white olive tree in the sparkling water, with her smiling face among the leaves.
"It's nice. It's nice to live in the country." Her laughter pulled him back.