So It Goes... (Jegulus 🍋)

So It Goes...
vellichorwrites

Regulus

Heavy, cold rain comes down in a torrent, creating a shiny, black gleam on the pavement as Regulus Black steps out of the Ministry, following the annual Quidditch Gala, hosted by the International Confederation of Wizards Quidditch Committee (ICWQC) for short. It's almost midnight and he's got a headache. He's wearing traditional wizarding robes in black and silver, his hair loose around his face in waves, silver rings adorning his hands, and a long black peacoat made of the finest cashmere over top, to keep out the November chill. Next to him stands his brother, a slightly drunk and ruffled Sirius Black, his eyes solely focused on his tall boyfriend, who's got an arm wrapped around him to keep him from falling.

***

The Black brothers are well-known, practically celebrities in the wizarding world. Sirius plays Beater for Puddlemore United, and Regulus followed in his brother's footsteps and is Seeker for the Chudley Cannons, much to their mother's chagrin. Since their father's election to Chief Warlock on the Wizengamot, there's been an increase of eager reporters looking to get the latest scoop, Quidditch fans breaching privacy, and a single, terrifying assassination attempt, which led to their mother hiring Auror protection for the entire family. This is where James Potter comes in. James has been an Auror at the Ministry for the last five years, climbing through the ranks with relentless work and the exhausting bravery of a Gryffindor. At almost twenty-six, he's now second in command to Frank Longbottom, Head Auror, and works closely with the Minister of Magic on special assignments and cases. He's best mates with Sirius and Remus and has always been a cheerful, optimistic thorn in Regulus' side since they went to school together. Even more so now.

James is Regulus' private bodyguard, following him to and from public events, errands, and even an occasional Quidditch practice, though Regulus has put his foot down, and insisted he is perfectly safe at the private and warded Cannons pitch. The only place James doesn't linger is Regulus' home or the homes of his closest friends, Evan & Barty who share a flat in Muggle London, and Pandora who lives in a small cottage on the outskirts of Wiltshire. James, to Regulus' utter annoyance, is a very competent wizard. He keeps his work and private life separate, which mainly includes trying his hardest not to react when Regulus taunts him. Sirius on the other hand, loves to remind his best friend that if anything happens to his precious baby brother, he'll have him to deal with, but it's always said with affection and trust. And the thing is, Regulus does trust James with his life. But that doesn't mean he has to like him. This might be the biggest lie he's told himself. A mantra he repeats every time James smiles at him. Which is pretty often. James is just so fucking likable. You do not want to shag James Potter. You are not drooling over James Potter's arse. You are not imagining sucking James Potter's cock.

Regulus has been under James' protection for the past eight months and they've quickly formed a routine he can live with. Anytime Regulus has an event to attend, he owls James to give him a week's notice, so the other man can prepare to attend. Some mornings, if Regulus feels generous and awake (not often), James will Floo over with coffee or breakfast on the way to Quidditch practice. Sometimes Regulus buys the drinks. An overly sweet chai for James and a black coffee for himself. Some nights, James joins him in random places like Muggle Paris for dinner, if he's craving his favorite French dish that he can't find anywhere in London. Over time, Regulus looks forward to these moments with James, when it's just the two of them and the world isn't watching. Light arguments about Quidditch over food or strolling through museums, James trying his hardest to stand still or not tap his foot, while Regulus pretends to read over a painting's description as slowly as possible. They're sort of friends, but Regulus is determined to keep James from finding this out.