Invisible String ( Jegulus 🌶️)

Invisible String
vellichorwrites

Regulus Black is in a mood. Now, granted, most days he isn't sunshiny or smiley, but today in particular has made him want to scream and curse anyone in his path into oblivion.

***

It starts with waking up at the god fucking crack of dawn to the sounds of moaning which he instantly realizes is his two best friends forgetting a Muffliato and making out in the bed next to him. He'd been dreaming of dark unruly hair and golden-brown skin, hazel eyes alight with mischief as his own pale hands roamed a bare chest in an altogether indecent path, down, down, down...and then he woke up. Half-hard and very much unsatisfied. To moaning. So yes, his morning is filled with lusty dreams, a much too cold shower, and a barely contained curse flown at Barty's head as he cackles like a maniac on top of a very red-faced Evan.

***

An hour later and feeling a bit more refreshed, he makes his way down to the Great Hall, his two best friends trailing after him bickering back and forth. Breakfast is a smooth affair; his croissant is the perfect amount of flaky and buttery, coffee black like his soul Barty jokes, and his friends quiet to lighten his sour mood. Then his eyes lifted to meet those same hazel ones he dreamt of early that morning. He's mid-sip, so the coffee in his mouth goes up his nose as he tries to swallow, the hot liquid burning its way out his nostrils. He's left in a sputtering mess, his friends trying very hard not to laugh at him as he wipes his mouth and mutters a quick Scourgify to clean his robes. A blush creeps up his neck and cheeks as James Potter tries in vain to hide his grin behind a cough. James raises an eyebrow as he takes a deliberately slow sip of his drink without spilling a drop, and sets down the cup with a smirk, the mug looking tiny in his large hand. Smug fucking bastard. James's hands are yet another issue for Regulus, but he ignores the thoughts running through his mind as he quickly averts his eyes and goes back to listening to Barty drone on about how much he hates his father.

***

Regulus isn't sure when he starts noticing the staring after that, but thinks it first happens during the Slytherin vs. Ravenclaw match in early October. He is floating on his broom near the Gryffindor stands where the Snitch disappears from his view just as he hears his brother's barking laughter in the stands. The momentary distraction leads him to sweep his eyes over the Gryffindor crowd, a hand brushing dark curls out of his face when he notices James's stare, his bright eyes widening with a sheepish expression when Regulus meets his flustered gaze with a cool one of his own. A second later, Regulus catches sight of a tiny gold fluttering ball, and he is speeding through the pitch, James Potter and his gorgeous, stupid face forgotten as he weaves in between the other players and wraps a delicate hand around the Snitch to win the game for Slytherin.

***

The second incident happens at Halloween. After days and days of Sirius begging him to attend, Regulus finally agrees to come to the Gryffindor's Halloween bash, but only if his friends can come as well. He bears his teeth and allows Dorcas to dress him up, and is pleasantly surprised when he sees his reflection in the mirror. His usual black tailored slacks and button-ups are adorned with a cloak of black velvet that shines with enchanted silver and blue stars, and a black crown of matching stars is twinkling over his ebony hair. The eyeliner she's applied makes his eyes look sinful and doe-like. He does look quite pretty, he thinks. Maybe James will... he shuts down that thought abruptly as he adjusts the crown on his head and ignores the flutters in his stomach.

"What am I supposed to be?" Regulus asks, eyebrow-raising as Dorcas smirks at him, half her face covered in an elaborate green and silver gilded mask.