Dust Bunnies part 1 (Jegulus🌶️)

Dust Bunnies Part 1
By
sparrow_wont_sing

Summary: 'Hide and Go Seek' at a friend's house leads to several revelations.

They were all just supposed to be studying together. Fucking hell. Just- studying. He knew he shouldn't have agreed to come. Why does he do these things to himself?

But no, of course- leave it to James and Sirius to somehow completely burn that simple, oh-so-wonderfully simple plan to ashes and dust. They were now meant to be playing some excuse for a muggle child's game called 'Hide or Go Seeking.' By title alone, it seemed simple enough. Though tedious. He's never heard of it but well, Regulus is nothing if not clever. Surely, it's something about- well. He assumes hiding must be the main theme. Presumably, a group of unfortunate players attempts to obscure themselves while some temporarily appointed power-hungry seeker treats said leftovers like a golden snitch. Lovely. Somehow both painfully common and the absolute height of Gryffindor nonsense.

So, accepting that it's a bit on the bloody nose, Regulus decides to do the absolute bare minimum as his eyes rest on a nearby closet. Small, unassuming, quiet.
Perfect.

Thin lengthy fingers shoot out to grab a nearby well-loved (and usually equally well-hidden) copy of some- rubbish muggle book. Yeah. Certainly not his style. Obviously. Useless nonsense. Yet the spine is cracked with obvious use, the pages are engulfed in their entirety by a truly mind-boggling amount of underlining, notes, doodles, and passionate commentary written in the margins. It seemed that he had covered every possible line in annotations and well- okay. Yeah, fine. He might have done. Still, gently he holds a most beloved friend in a tender grip, The Hobbit, tight in his hands as he half-heartedly slinks off into the closet. Closes it behind him with a muted 'thump'.

This particular closet takes up residence in some new friend of Sirius' and James' manor. Muggleborn, he thinks. Regulus doesn't even entertain the idea of trying to remember much about them. So many people were dreadfully desperate to feel like they too could carve out a spot among the (Regulus, settled into a corner on the floor, rolls his eyes. Barely smothers a condescending scoff.) infamous- or Merlin have mercy- legendary Marauders. Still even as he laughs in derision, Regulus himself cannot pretend he isn't intimately familiar with that same desire.

How could he not? He sees the way they are together. The definition of the whole being better than the sum of its parts. Even though there are two couples in the group somehow no one seems jealous of any of the others. They just fit together as if they were all of them carved from the same stone. They are more family than his real one ever has been. Sirius and himself have come so far in their relationship but that jealousy. That dark, all-consuming, ravenous jealousy- sometimes it scornfully undulates its way back into a crack in his heart. It's easier to let yourself give in to something that strong- get intimately reacquainted with that jealousy and re-embrace that oh-so-familiar self-loathing. Wallow. Wade. Drown.