Baila Morena (Jegulus🌶️)

Baila Morena
by
officialmarseliphas

Summary:
James was an arrogant prick. His annoying brother's annoying best friend. But there he was, dancing and singing and drinking like he was ever allowed to be so beautiful. Regulus understood then that James was like the sun--hot, excruciatingly distant, and blinding. And Regulus needed both.

OR

Drunk James is a little more Gryffindor than Sober James. But even Sober James is obsessed with Regulus Black.

Regulus had hardly expected a Gryffindor party to be eventful

Regulus had hardly expected a Gryffindor party to be eventful. Usually, they were simply loud and crowded, bursting at the seams with drunk assholes and drunk dipshits. The music always thrummed in his head, aching at his temples. He always drank too much or not enough. Sometimes, he ended up hungover.

Needless to say, he didn't expect that, after only two drinks, he would be watching James motherfucking Potter climb onto a large table and begin singing at the top of his lungs.

James' shirt was uneven, spread open to reveal a good bit of his chest. His tie was undone, hanging loose around his neck like he wanted somebody to pull it. His skin glistened with sweat and his hair was a mess. In his hand, he held an empty bottle of vodka like it was a microphone, shouting incomprehensible lyrics into it. Regulus didn't know any Spanish, but the beat was what caught his attention--more specifically, James' dancing to it. His hips moved rhythmically, circling and dropping and locking at just the right points. Each time he pushed his hips, a fresh smile seemed to tide onto his face. He was quite focused--his eyes were closed for most of his performance and his brows pinched together with the effort. The only word Regulus could think while looking at him was beautiful.

The thought made his heart drop. James was an arrogant prick. His annoying brother's annoying best friend. But there he was, dancing and singing and drinking like he was ever allowed to be so beautiful. Regulus understood then that James was like the sun--hot, excruciatingly distant, and blinding. And Regulus needed both.

"Oh my God," Dorcas' voice snorted out high and teasing. "Regulus, close your jaw, you'll get drool on the carpet."

Pandora chuckled. "Aw, Reggie, having a gay awakening?"

Regulus frowned, his eyes fixated on James. "Shut up."

"Yeah, stop that," Evan waved a hand at Pandora. "We already knew he was gay and in love with the dumbest Gryffindor there is, yes."

Regulus elbowed him. He even turned to his side to glare at Evan. His attention was drawn back when Dorcas let out a sharp breath.

James offered out a hand to Marlene McKinnon, whose eyeliner was smudged but pretty. She took his hand with an equally drunken grin and let herself be pulled up onto the table. Somebody handed her a half-empty bottle of beer and she took a swig before seeming to realize that it was meant to be her microphone. Laughing unabashedly, she took a second swig with a shrug and began to mirror James, screaming the lyrics. James fell into the role of the girl's voice and Marlene the man's. James committed to his performance, swelling under the gazes of everyone in the room. He pretended to swoon and flutter his annoyingly thick eyelashes, even falling to his knees in front of the girl, gripping one of her hips. She laughed as he did, jokingly kicking him off, and he let himself be. He fell back on the table, letting his legs hang off the edge. Next to Regulus, Barty laughed. The sound must have caught James' eye because he sat up, but his eyes landed on Regulus. He smiled blindingly and pointed at him, motioning then for him to come closer. Regulus frowned and folded his arms, but Barty was pushing him closer before he knew it.