Chapter 3 | Together

-*-*-*-

"You look tired," Layla says.

"That's because I am..," I reply, falling back on my locker.

"What happened?"

"Babysitting Mira again," I say.

She nods.

The bell rings.

"Where are you?" I ask

"English 3," she replies.

"English 8. I'll walk with you."

-*-*(In class)*-*-

"Ahh, uhm, new girl, remind me of your name, again!" The teacher says.

I jolt, immediately thinking she was about to shout at me for doodling on my paper again.

"Uh, Y/n!" I say.

"Great, Y/n, Rodrick, you two work together for the project. You need to do a poster on the history of poetry!" she says, "Maybe even write your own!" she looks at my doodles, "You can add a bit of color and some illustrations if you must, anything to get your mark up," she smiles.

I pause for a second.

Wait, that's perfect, and Rodrick? My friends would never let me hang around him but if it's a project thing, they have no chance of stopping me! It's perfect!"

"That's fine," Rodrick states, groggily.

I nod in agreement.

-*-*(After school)*-*-

I talk to Sabrina as we are leaving school. She bumps into someone.

"Watch where you're going!" the boy says.

I recognize his voice.

"Oh, hey Y/n!" he says.

It's Rodrick!

He grins before looking down at me, "Are you getting the bus?" he asks.

I shake my head, "Nope, uh, my roommate is picking me up."

"Ah."

Sabrina doesn't say anything or try to drag me away. I've learned she's the more respectful and nicer friend.

I nod.

"When you wanna start the project?" he asks.

"Tomorrow. At your house, that alright?"

He seems wary at first but he nods.

"Great, okay, I need your address," I say, I pull out a post-it note and a pen from my bag before handing him it.

He scribbles the address down and hands it back to me. He walks away without saying another word.

I stare at the post-it. At the bottom, it reads, "Come at 5 P.M." An odd time. I could've come straight after school but whatever. 

"You like him," Sabrina says.

"What? Who? Rodrick?" I ask.

"Don't worry, I don't judge," she shrugs, "Y'know the dirty blonde girl, they used as an example? Her name is Ava, she's like...uh, sorta my girlfriend."

I smile, "I wasn't expecting that."

"Yeah, we're pretty on the low, y'know. Homophobia, the friend group's standards, just everything."

"Yeah, no of course!"

-*-*-*-