Chapter 2- We're Going To Have a Hard Time Getting Rid Of You

The funeral for my entire family had been weird. Almost all of my parents' friends didn't recognize me, and only a few of my brother's mates knew my name. Both of my sisters' friends were too busy trying to cry without ruining their makeup. I sat in the front row, with only Zia for company. The flower arrangements people had brought were flamboyant and looked really expensive. So many people had brought flowers that the smell nearly gave me a headache. I didn't try to force myself to cry, what was the point? I knew that several people were talking about me, but I didn't care. The funeral wasted two hours of my time, and when it was over, I was glad to leave. No one stopped to apologize for my loss or whatever. Or if they did, I hadn't noticed. Zia led me through the crowd of teary-eyed people. I followed her to the car and stared at my two bags that sat in the backseat. I got in beside Zia and slammed the car door shut. Zia started driving. I zoned out for the entirety of the ride. There was nothing else to do aside from stare out a window. Window staring was getting old. I zoned back in when we pulled up to a nicely cared for building. I didn't bother to read the sign. Zia led me in. I was a bit slower than she was because my bags were a little heavy. The building was nice on the inside, but one of the lights was flickering, adding to my headache. A wrinkled old woman(she couldn't really be called a lady) stood impatiently at a tea-stained desk. The way she carried herself made me automatically assume she was the boss. I was right. She had a polite conversation with Zia while I just stood there with my stuff. I could feel eyes staring at me but I couldn't see anyone around. I waved a goodbye to Zia as she left and turned my attention to the old woman.

"My name is Ms. Dalore. Your room will be number 127. If you would like to change rooms, ask someone who cares." she paused to look me over.

"Speak!" she commanded harshly. I held up my whiteboard. 'I'm Ember, and I don't talk.' it said. She scoffed.

"Well, we're going to have a hard time getting rid of you, then." she grumbled. I brushed her harsh words to the side.

"Well, why are you still standing here!? Go to your room!" she said, shooing me off. I nodded and picked up my bags, carrying them up a set of stairs. I started walking down a hall, examining the doors to try to find room 127. I found it at the end of hall and slipped inside. The room was almost completely empty. There was a bed, a dresser, and a window with no curtains. I sat my bags down and started unpacking. I found a set of white sheets in the dresser along with a thin bedspread. I made up the bed and continued unpacking. I set up my keyboard in the corner of the room. I put all of my clothes into my dresser after changing into a t-shirt and jeans. I slipped my hoodie over my head. I put some of my books on the desk, and laid one on my bed for later. When I turned around, I was slightly startled to find three girls standing in the doorway. They all looked exactly alike. Triplets.

"Hi!" the three said in unison. I waved. They came in and started introducing themselves.

"I'm Rose!" said one of them.

"I'm Lilly." said another.

"I'm Ivy." said the third one quietly. I held up my board. They all read it and started talking at once. I heard nothing of what they said. I wasn't paying attention to the triplets. A car had pulled into the driveway. I went to the window and looked out. The triplets stopped talking and crowded around the window.

"Do you think-" Rose started.

"-its an adopter?" Lilly finished.

"A cute one." Ivy remarked as a man stepped out of the car. I didn't think he looked all that cute but whatever. He had dark brown hair and he looked a little excited. Why wouldn't he? He'd be leaving here with a kid. He walked in and after a few moments, I heard Ms. Dalore yell up the steps.

"Boys! There's an adopter here for one of you!" I heard, and felt, a rush of footsteps and yells. The triplets sighed.

"The boys always get the cute dads." Rose said sadly. My watch beeped. I looked down at it. Why did I set it this early?

"Oh, crap! It's dinner time!" Lily squealed. The triplets ran out of the room and I heard a door slam. I looked at my watch again. 5:20. I suppose its late enough for food. At 5:25, I heard doors open, so I looked out into the hallway.

"C'mon, Em! You don't wanna be late!" Ivy shouted when she saw me. I ran into the hall, closing my door quietly. I followed Ivy to the large dining room. The boys were on the other side of the room, but they were all quiet. I'd forgotten my board, so I wrote with a fork in my mystery mashed potatoes. 'What's up with them?' I wrote. Ivy looked over at the boys. "They didn't get adopted." she answered. I nodded, and ate a little of the food, if you could call it that. I ate a roll; they hadn't messed that up. I waited until Ivy was done, and followed her example. I handed the tray to a lady behind the counter and she smiled at me.

"You must be new!" she said cheerfully. I nodded. Ivy went back up to her room that she shared with her sisters. I went back to my room and closed the door. I plugged a pair of earbuds into my keyboard so I wouldn't disturb anyone and turned it on. I started playing through my mental list of songs. I stopped halfway through the list when I couldn't stop yawning. I looked at my watch. Bedtime, as listed on a sheet of paper taped to my door, was half an hour ago. I turned off my keyboard and put my pajamas on. I got in the bed and turned off the lamp. I fell asleep quickly.