Chapter 4

a couple of days passed, and the two girls were now in a taxi heading to Maddy's house to go and store her other devices at her house. maddy looked over to Abi and playfully nudged her. "so are you excited?!" she squealed. abi looked back at her and gave her an awkward smile. this was so new for her, she was going to some place for 3 whole months. "I know this is all new for you but look on the bright side." Maddy took Abi's hand and caressed it. "we're going together." she continued. "yeah that's right.." Abi smiled looking down.  she only knew Maddy for a year but it felt like they knew each other forever.

FLASHBACK:

Abi wobbled up the stairs with two suitcases in her hand and wobbled through the halls earning stairs from girls. Abi tried smiling at them but just got ignored and was faced with more stares. Have they never seen a fucking black person before or what?  Abi was also focused on finding her dorm room with her keys in her mouth... well that's probably why they were staring.  once she got in front of her dorm, she turned the handle and it was locked. "yes!" she exclaimed.  Abi's original goal was to be the first in the dorm so she could unpack with peace.  Abi quickly put her key into the lock and unlocked the door, smiling. but as soon as she got into the dorm her smile quickly faded away. abi was greeted by a middle-aged white man, a middle-aged Hispanic woman, and... "Omg! Hey!!! You're finally here!" the girl ran up to Abi and embraced her with one big hug. "Madison! what is wrong with you?!"  her mother shouted at her.  "what?  this is my roommate we've been texting for some time now!" she assured.  It was one day... Abi gave Maddy an awkward smile and awkwardly began moving her suitcases inside the dorm room. As she reached her hand out to close the door she was interrupted by Madison's mother. "you can leave the door open." she snapped, looking at Abi with a condescending smile. "of course no problem."

click!

Maddy unbuckled her seatbelt, As soon as Abi saw Maddy unbuckled her seatbelt she unbuckled her seatbelt as well and proceeded to get out of the car as well until Maddy stopped her. "Oh you don't have to get out im just going to quickly run inside, put our stuff down, and run back out," she said with a smile. "oh.. okay, well here's my laptop," Abi said.  Maddy was about to go when she realized something, she slowly turned back around and crossed her arms.  Abi looked up at her confused. "what?"  Maddy uncrossed her arms and stuck her hand out. "They said every device except your phone, the less the better."  abi looked around confused. "uhh, I did give you every  device I own." Maddy shook her head."No, you didn't." Maddy gave a smile raised her eyebrows and stared at Abi.  abi looked back at Maddy until she realized. "You're joking?"  she said in disbelief.  "it's an extra device." Maddy corrected. "Maddy it's a small little beat-up flip phone I have for emergencies!" Abi raised her voice. "But it's still an extra device Abi," she repeated. Just before Abi was going to bundle the taxi driver turned around irritation on his face. "Hey, you ladies mind not arguing all day about a damn phone huh?" The two girls looked right back at each other. "I'm keeping  it." Abi snapped.   "fine." Maddy rolled her eyes and closed the door to the car.

FLASHBACK:

As Abi was unpacking Maddy's family was almost right beside her helping her set up her side of the dorm they shared. "So Abi where are your parents?" the white guy who was believed to be Maddy's father asked her. He had greyish-white hair, glasses, and hard dress shoes that almost looked like wood. he had his pants in his pockets as he glided over to Abi. Maddy and her mother eyed the both of them for a bit, before going back to hanging  Maddy's Kali Uchis poster. "My parents are in Nigeria they sent me over here at 6 for education so I've been living with my aunt," Abi responded organizing her stuff on the bed. "Oh so where is your aunt?" he asked invading her privacy. "she's uh, she's at work." she lied.

"Seriously? She couldn't make a little time to help you? wow typical" he said in disbelief. Abi eyed him, how badly she wanted to deck him in the face. "All alright we are all done!" Maddy's mother cheered.  "thanks guys." Maddy smiled as she hugged her mother. "make sure you call me." her mother scolded as she and her husband were walking out the door. "alright bye."