🩸Blackmail (pt.49)🩸

ابدأ من البداية

"Damn you."

She hummed a tired little chuckle, and let me sleep.

~July 1st 2028~

Things had been quiet for the past months. Theo's first birthday had gone beautifully, with Melanie insisting we get a cake, and proceeding to beg her mother to shove her face into it.

I mean Melanie's face, she begged for a cake to be smashed into her face. Toddlers were another breed.

Cleo hadn't hesitated, however.

The whole day had been full of giggles and a ton of sprinkles left in Melanie's bathtub water.

Melanie was on the ground with Theo, they were once again, playing with their little dolls and plastic toy sets, houses, and grocery stores. They'd both always been a fan of dolls.

"Mama!" She cried.
"Mama can't play right now, lovely," I said softly, sliding off the couch to sit next to her on the floor.

Cleo was out for work. But both of them had gotten very used to her playing with them, she was a professional at fitting in in a toddler's pretend world, apparently.

"No!" She screeched. She kicked her legs out, crying viciously. I could've calmed her down in the state she was in, but that was before she threw one of her dolls across the room. It ended up hitting the wall with a loud crack.

Whenever a toddler was mad, they seemed to have the strength of the devil himself. It was genuinely scary, sometimes.

Theo jumped back, clearly startled. He immediately ran to me and climbed up onto the sofa, hiding himself in my shirt.

"Melanie,"

She didn't stop crying, or screeching, and if she continued I knew the situation would escalate.

I sighed. The last thing I wanted to be doing on a Wednesday evening was dealing with my sobbing two-year-old.

I got the feeling something else had to be going on, because she never lashed out so easily.

I slowly pushed Theo off of me, "I'll be back in a second, sweetheart."

I picked Melanie up off the floor and took her into the dining room.

I plopped her down on the couch while she desperately tried to kick her way out of my grasp, screaming and crying the whole time.

"I want Mama!"
"Mama is busy right now," I answered dryly.

She only answered in sniffles.

"You may not throw your toys, Melanie."

She sniffled again, not replying. But I knew she was smart, she was fully capable of listening and comprehending everything I was saying, and more.

Truthfully, Cleo was much better at talking to them than I was, but that was out of the picture. I just easily got soft. If Melanie tried hard enough, I knew she could easily manipulate me out of a talking-to. And if I told Cleo, that would make her incredibly frustrated.

"It could hurt other people, you could hurt yourself. We don't want to hurt others, do we, lovely?"

She shook her head, sucking on her thumb.

After some battle, we'd finally weaned her off her pacifier, and she'd grown a liking to sucking on her thumb. But it wasn't like we could just remove her thumb.

"No...No, hurting is bad." I said in simpler terms.

I sat down in front of her, crossing my legs, "What has Mommy always taught you?"