You Are In Love | Jack Hughes (Part One)

#86, Center for the New Jersey Devils
Word Count: 2.5 K

"One look, dark room, meant just for you
Time moved too fast, you play it back
Buttons on a coat, lighthearted joke
No proof, not much, but you saw enough
Small talk, he drives, coffee at midnight
The light reflects the chain on your neck
He says, 'Look up' and your shoulders brush
No proof, one touch, but you felt enough"
- "You Are In Love (Taylor's Version)," Taylor Swift

I settle into Jack's passenger seat with a smile on my face. I'm so excited for this.

"Starbucks run?" Jack questions me as he backs out of the driveway.

I nod and take his hand as he holds it out to me, leaning back in the seat and relaxing. Tonight is going to be amazing, I already know.

Jack stops by the Starbucks in town that's close to closing time. He orders himself a regular black coffee and me a peppermint mocha frappucino. We get our drinks before drive for a little bit before finding somewhere to pull over.

Jack lays down the blankets we brought with us and we lay down on them, looking up at the stars. Jack and I line stargazing. We've done this for so long, so it felt fitting that we would do this for our first date. It's nice to get a little bit away from the craziness of Newark and find a place without all the city lights and such.

"This is nice, huh?" Jack says as he takes my hand with a smile.

"It's perfect." I focus on my attention on how the moon reflects off of the necklace I'm wearing, the one he got for me for my 21st birthday. I focus on the way his hand feels in mine—perfectly. I don't know why it took us so long to figure out that we're perfect together.

I carefully slide closer to Jack and he lets go of my hand to move his arm under me, wanting me to snuggle up against him. I do happily, resting my cheek against his chest as we both stare up at the sky silently.

This is more perfect than any other date could be.

Jack slowly sits up after about an hour, helping me up with him. "So, what's for dinner?"

I laugh. "It's midnight, Hughes. I don't know where we could even go."

He shrugs. "Sonic?" He offers helpfully.

"Actually, I could take down a footlong hot dog right now." Jack laughs and helps me up, telling me to go ahead and get back in the car while he cleans up our empty cups and the blankets.

We stop by Sonic and Jack orders for us and we wait until we get back to his place to eat. He turns on a Christmas movie since there's only a few weeks until Christmas and we sit on the couch together, talking occasionally as we eat.

It's honestly the most simple yet the most perfect date I've ever been on.

"You really have to go out of town for the next week, huh?"

Jack sighs. "A week of road games suck, but I'll be back before you know it. I'll definitely miss you, though. Does it make it better if I promise to FaceTime or call you whenever I get a chance?"

I smile. "Of course. You're so handsome, how could I ever say no?"

- - - - -