I knew this must be hard for my mum though, standing up there and blatantly lying, especially after reciting the oath. We’d never been religious, and never would be, but swearing on a bible must have some kind of impact when you know you’re going against your word like that.

After a couple more legal proceedings, they got to the interesting point. Arthur was stood up on the stand, ready to answer the questions fired at him.

“Why do you want custody over Jessica McCarthy?” His own lawyer asked him, obviously meaning that he had prepared an answer. His own lawyer wouldn’t question him on something he was unprepared for.

“Because she’s my daughter and I’ve always been meaning to get into contact with her and now I’ve realised the jeopardy she’s in by staying with her mother, it made me realise how much I care about her.”

I snorted, but not loud enough so that anyone could hear me. That was the biggest load of rubbish I’ve ever heard! ‘How much I care about her’?! I couldn’t help the glare that escaped my eyes. All he’d done was bring trouble to my life.

They carried on after that, listing many pointless questions, where he spouted some kind of emotional jargon that the courts seemed to be buying. His lawyer had made sure he asked questioned which Arthur could answer with soppiness, making the judge buy into his sob story.

When his lawyer finished his set of questions, it was time for our lawyer to speak. I wasn’t sure what he’d have come up with, considering the lack of brains he’d demonstrated so far, but I had hope yet.

“If you cared about your daughter so much, then why has it taken you fifteen years to get into contact with her?” He queried, raising an almost sarcastic eyebrow at Arthur, as if he’d won already. It was a pretty standard question though, and so I couldn’t give him any kudos yet.

Arthur, already expecting the question, had obviously got a response prepared. “I was working abroad, and so I was unable to visit her. I lost my job nearly a year ago and I’ve only just traced her. I couldn’t get in touch until now.” He replied smugly. I wasn’t sure if the judge could pick up on his self-confidence, but I definitely could. He was reeking of it.

“So your work is more important than your daughter?” My lawyers asked, his face scrunching up in fake confusion.

My face twisted in satisfaction. I was beginning to think this lawyer was less helpless than he appeared. Arthur faltered, only slightly, until he came up with an reply. They’d obviously considered this type of question, because it was still something I’d premeditated.

“I don’t put my daughter below anyone or anything. It was the wrong decision at the time.” He stated, his mask dropping slightly when he realised how rubbish his answer had been.

“That doesn’t justify your decision, all it does is say you regret it. If you hadn’t moved away in the first place, there would be nothing to regret.” Our lawyer pointed out.

Arthur couldn’t contain his glare any further as he let it loose on Barry. “Yes.” He snapped. “I made a mistake. Isn’t the point that I want to rectify it?”

“But your daughter doesn’t want you to rectify it.” Arthur was reminded. “She’s made it pretty clear to you that she doesn’t want to know you. Doesn’t that mean that you aren’t actually putting her needs first, you’re just doing this for your own reasons?”

Contrary to my initial thoughts, Barry was far cleverer than I’d originally suspected. His line of questioning had made Arthur look even worse than I imagined he would and I couldn’t help the smug smirk that spread across my face. Even if mum failed the drug test now, Arthur had been humiliated in court, and that was at least some cause for celebration.