Chapter 23 : Always

Start from the beginning

The driver smiled brightly. "Thank you so much Sir. May all your wishes come true."

A sad smile came on Mahir's face. His one wish didn't come true, what would he do of others...

Taking another breath, he covered the distance to the airport in slow, defeated steps and entered. He didn't have any bookings as he was leaving at the last moment, hence he made his way towards the counter but a look at the flight display system halted him in his steps.

All the flights were... postponed ?

Frowning, he continued towards the counter, which thankfully had no queue, to inquire. "Excuse me ? Why are the flights for UK postponed ?"

"Sorry for the inconvenience Sir but all the flights, whether national or international, have been postponed till morning due to bad weather predicted by the forecast department. Stormy winds are expected." - the representative informed professionally.

Mahir's heart skipped a beat as the driver's words said in a jest echoed in his head.

'...looks like the universe doesn't want you to leave this place...'

The traffic, the problem in the engine and now... all the flights were cancelled. It couldn't be a coincidence, could it ? His eyes went to the large time display on the wall.

8:30 PM.

'Half an hour to go...'

His heartrate doubled and he swallowed thickly. Hot tears prickling his eyes again. He desperately wanted to run away so so far away where her thoughts could not reach. Where they couldn't bother him. But the reality from which he was hiding was she lived in him. He won't ever be able to get her out of his system.

'Just half an hour and you'll be someone else's...'

His fists closed so tightly at the thought of Kabir touching her that not only his knuckles turned white but his nails dug into the skin of his palms and drew blood.

He took a few steps back and turned on his heels, running out of the airport and came on the road. Many cabs were stood in lane and he rushed towards the driver of the first.

"Chauhan Haveli. As soon as possible." - he said, already taking a seat.

"Sir it's an hour long distance and I'll charge-"

"I will pay you double if you sit in right this instant and fly this car over there!" - Mahir cut him off.

The driver didn't need to be told twice. He quickly sat in the taxi and drove off. Mahir was surprised that they didn't find any traffic on their way back and the driver actually drove as fast as he could without breaking the traffic rules. It was 9:30 PM when the driver stopped right outside the haveli decked up for the wedding. Mahir took out his ID and ATM card before placing his money filled wallet on the driver's hand who looked at him in shock.

Mahir ran inside, crossing the long courtyard, passing by the fountain and reached at the entrance door of the grand hall. Out of breath.

The sight that greeted him snatched the oxygen from his lungs.

"Now the groom fills the bride's hairline with vermillion and makes her wear the nuptial chain." - the priest guided as the couple sat down after completing the rounds.

Mahir's body gave up and he fell on his knees. The pain in his chest sharpened to such extent he felt like he was having an attack. At last, he lost her. At last, she didn't choose him.

At last, everything came to an end.

He was about to break into sobs when a hand was placed on his shoulder from behind. Breathing laboured, he looked behind and froze.

Sneha was smiling down at him with teary eyes.

His aching heart slammed to his ribcage with such force as if someone had threw the small organ like a ball to the wall.

"This is not real, is it ?" - he choked out, swallowing and his eyes remained glued on her face.

Tears fell from her eyes and she sank on her knees as well. Her small hands cupped his face and a familiar warmth spread throughout his body. He didn't dare to blink. Terrified out of his wits that if he did, the illusion would disappear.

Slowly, oh-so-slowly, maintaining the eye contact with him, she brushed her lips over his.

Once. Twice. Thrice.

The spell of disbelief over him broke and tears rapidly started to flow as he realized she was indeed there. Choking through the sobs, he secured his arms around her waist and engulfed her in a tight hug. His grip desperate and unwavering. She snaked her arms around his neck and scratched his scalp to calm him down.

"I can't live without you..." - he gasped, inhaling her scent by nuzzling into her hair, her neck and wherever he could reach. His hands were roaming haphazardly on her back, soaking her warmth and making himself believe she was there. In his arms. His.

She sobbed in his embrace, his fragrance calming her nerves down and his warmth seeping into her bones. She was fearing she had lost him forever as she read his last note. Feared he won't forgive her.

"I'm sorry... I'm SO sorry Mahir..." - she whispered, roaming her fingers impatiently through his hair. "I can't live without you either, not a day, not an hour, not a single second."

His arms tightened around her, eyes closed. If it had been possible, he would have merged himself with her. Her words were music to his ears, salve on his wounds, peace to his soul.

"I thought I have lost you forever. That you would never return to me." - she whispered thickly through her tears.

"Impossible Sneha. My every path ends on you. Every road of my life leads to you. And it always will." - he whispered, smiling a real, genuine smile don't know after how long.

IntertwinedOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara