one two three

Luisa's POV:

Maxi's words are still echoing in my head as I walk down the stairs. I was unfair to him in those few moments when I actually thought he was this nasty version he shows to others. I've often wondered why he behaves this way, but I never thought he'd find his life this bad. Sure, other people have bigger problems, I'm aware of that. Nevertheless, Maxi also has the right to love who he loves and to live how he wants to live. I know how much Leo and I suffered to some extent. It looked so easy with Maxi, but it was supposed to be.

"I hope you're not pondering my question," Alex interrupts my thoughts as I return to his apartment and he comes out of the bathroom with a towel around his hips.
"When you come in the bathroom like that, I forget my thoughts," I grin, but before I can engage Alex in a kiss, he moves on to the bedroom to get dressed. 

"So it's got nothing to do with my question?" "No, I just feel sorry for Maxi. We talked about our childhood again. He was no different to us, he just didn't talk about it. It hurts me to see him like this," I sigh and sit down on the bed while Alex changes his clothes. "I understand you, honestly. But we have to give him time to pluck up the courage and make his own decisions. He's already taken the most important step. He's talked to us about it and now we know how we can help," Alex reassures me lovingly and gives me a kiss on the forehead. 

Alex is the calm I've always wished for. We understand each other on so many levels and support each other wholeheartedly. There is no longer any doubt in my mind that our relationship will last and is fundamentally stable. "If the offer regarding I would gladly accept it," I smile at Alex, who smiles back at me, grabs me and throws me into bed. This is my idea of a weekend morning.

"Mother and father are in a relatively good mood by their standards," Maxi greets us immediately, "If it doesn't work out today, it'll never work out." "Please don't be too optimistic," I reply ironically and take Alex's hand as he surveys our entrance area again.
It's still surprisingly big the second time. "Come on." I take Alex's hand and pull him into one of the adjoining houses because we're early anyway and I suspect he'll be delighted with the picture he's about to see. 

"Wow," Alex marvels as soon as I turn on the light and part of my father's car collection appears in front of us. Several classic cars, several sports cars, lots of special editions. Alex' isn't the biggest car enthusiast simply because he couldn't afford it and doesn't want to put any value on it, but the collection does impress him. "That's crazy," Alex laughs lightly and takes a closer look at a few of the cars, "Our grandpa always dreamed of having a classic car." "If we didn't have to be upstairs right now, I could get us a key," I grin innocently, "I guess we'll have to do it another time." 

"I don't want to leave a bad impression just yet. We'll do it some other time, if your parents are really okay with it." I nod and pull Alex back into the entrance area where my parents and Maxi meet us. "Great, you're here," my mother speaks calmly as soon as she sees us and turns to our cook Linda, "Mrs. Niburg, is the dining room ready?" "Of course, Mrs. Diehn, please follow me," Linda nods, "We've prepared a light spring salad with strips of Australian beef for tonight's starter. The main course is coq-au-vin followed by a tarte au chocolat." 

"A three-course menu for a get-together?" Alex whispers to me with a grin. "We never have one course, otherwise it wouldn't be worth having a majority kitchen staff," I reply with amusement. This must all be really surprising for Alex. "So you're a teacher?" my father finally asks, "What subjects?" "Biology and chemistry," Alex answers politely, but looks a little overwhelmed, "You can call me by my first name, by the way." Mother nods and even looks a little amused, but ignores it. "You could get a well-paid job in research," my father suggests.

This is probably the moment when things start to go downhill. One look at Maxi and I realize that he's thinking the same thing, but can't admit it. Fortunately, Alex takes it humorously. "The money isn't that important to me. I'm happy that I can teach my students something." Alex's voice is calm. He makes an effort to maintain a good relationship. "Yes, that's nice. Everyone has found an area they like to work in," I cut in, "Alex likes being a teacher. I'm finishing my dissertation and Maxi is supporting you. Speaking of which, how's it going?" 

Our parents immediately get into the subject when Maxi rescues us and tells us about his latest idea for the company, "...and so I want to take advantage of the development of the gold price." "Sounds like a good idea. The Handelsblatt recently announced its forecast for the price of gold. It's set to rise by at least 20 percent," Alex remarks to everyone's surprise, which makes me grin proudly. Dad doesn't seem to have expected this, because he smiles for once and gets into the subject. So the evening is going well after all, at least that's how it seems to me.

"It couldn't have gone better," Maxi admits as we walk to the car and talk shortly before we leave. "Thank you for your help." "Any time." "Luisa, just a moment," my mother stops me before I can get into the car. Alex and Maxi are still talking, so I follow my parents. "You were right," my mother admits to me and I immediately grin enthusiastically. She agrees with me. Alex is great and everything will be fine. "Great. I'm glad you like him. Alex asked me if we wanted to move in together and-" 

"Hang on, Luisa. We agree with you that you could have chosen a much worse man. But we're still not happy with your decision. So think carefully about whether you should move in with him. It's only for your own good." "What's for my own good?" I ask her cautiously, already suspecting something bad. "You have a choice, Luisa. Your family or some man you've recently met." I am speechless, in shock.

Are they really giving me a choice right now? My own parents want me to choose between them and love. "Mrs. Diehn, are you ready?" I hear Andreas calling in the background. Still speechless, I simply turn away from my parents and get into the car with Alex. How the hell do I straighten this situation out? 

"On the count of three, let's both let go of our thoughts?" suggests Alex, who also seems tense. I wonder if he heard us. I nod. "Three, two, one..."
"My parents want me to make a decision."
"I think your brother takes drugs."