Chapter 12- 'Bastian

“You alright ‘Bastian?” a tight voice from the front of the van says. “Just Drive Aiden.” “You got it boss.”

 So that’s what his name is? Or at least what sounds like a nickname. I glance at him, studying his face. I didn’t notice his features before; too busy running for my life.

High cheekbones, grey-bluish eyes, well groomed eyebrows, lips to die for. What am I thinking? I need to pull myself together, I’m not sure if he's planning on hurting me. “What the fuck were you thinking?” he barked. “I’m sorry I-” “I don’t want to hear excuses, little girl. What you did was ignorant and selfish,”

I hang my head low. He’s right, what if Travis was lying. I’m only 18 and still have my whole life ahead of me, if I died tonight I’d miss out on so many experiences. My dad would be heartbroken, he’s already lost my mother. “Raise your head Claudette, and look me in the eyes.” I don’t want to because of tears threatening to fall, but I force myself to do so.

He blows out a low breath. “Listen Claudette, I don’t intend to upset you, but you need to understand that your actions have consequences and-” “I know!” I yell. He raises an eyebrow. I look down at my shoes; I’ve always been scared of confrontation mainly because every time I try to confront my father my voice gets quieter, and I end up turning away. I’m not sure why I decided to yell at someone twice my size.

I guess I can add it to the list of idiotic things I’ve done tonight. “Do not yell at me. If it happens again you will be punished.” I look up, a confused expression on my face. He ignores it and continues with his lecture. “ You can never do what you did tonight ever again. Do you understand me?” I bob my head.

“I need a verbal answer, Claudette.” “Yes.” “Yes, sir.” he corrects. “Yes, sir.” Satisfied with my answer he  closes his eyes and he leans back, his head resting on the leather headrest; All that running must have tuckered him out. I mimic him. We sit in silence until I finally get enough courage to ask him a question. “‘Bastian?”

One eye opens.  “You will address me as Mr. Park.” Right, how silly of me to think I could call him by his nickname. He clears his throat and sits up, both of his eyes are now open, staring intently at me. “Well, spit it out.” “Where are you taking me?” I ask,  my voice a mere whisper.  “Isn’t it obvious? I’m taking you up to your father’s house.”