Chapter 50: Let Me Get This Straight

The next morning, I find myself back in our bed with Jay and the dogs nowhere to be seen. It's fairly obvious that he didn't want me sleeping on the floor and did me the liberty of moving me back into comfort – I love him for it.

After showering and getting ready for the day, I make my way over to Grey's side. I hear voices and barking before Jay and Grey step through the front door with the furkids trailing behind them on leashes.

"Where have you guys been?" I ask, immediately envious. FOMO is my worst nightmare.

"We went to the store to pick up a few things," Jay answers, kneeling to remove Slobber's leash while Grey does the same with Throttle's. "After last night, I didn't have the heart to wake you. I mean, we barely slept."

"Throttle would have slept fine by me. It's apparent that he hates Aqueela, as he should, and was terrified to fall asleep in her presence in the fear of her swallowing his soul whole," Grey hums casually, weirdly upbeat.

I can't even take offense because he said it in such a light and teasing tone.

I glance at Jay, puzzled. "What's wrong with him?"

Jay smirks, amused by Grey's new side. "Nothing. He's just experiencing the unconditional love of a dog for the first time. He's been like this all morning."

My gaze flickers back to Grey. He's hunched over, talking softly to Throttle and patting him behind his ears. The worst part is that Throttle is actually wagging his tail and leaning into Grey's touch.

"I don't like this," I grumble, folding my arms over my chest.

"Look, boy, we got you some toys," Grey offers him a ball, a stuffed bear, and a rubber bone. "And I'll get you even more when I can."

Throttle jumps up, balancing on his hind legs, and gently takes the ball from Grey's hand, making his choice.

I try to hold back my vomit as I watch Grey throw the ball back and forth for him. Each time, Throttle fetches the ball and drops it back at Grey's feet.

In truth, the scene playing out before me is adorable, but I'd die a brutal death before admitting it.

"How have you already taught Throttle to walk on a leash and fetch a ball?" I ask Satan, displeased by their bonding but also pleased by our pup's progress.

Slobber always runs away with the ball whenever I throw it for him. He never brings it back to me. I have to chase after him – it's how I get my workouts in. We both usually drop dead with exhaustion after a good three minutes or so.

"Because Throttle actually loves and respects me," he boasts but still pats Slobber anyway and hands him a treat. "Slobber's cute but Throttle's a fast learner and pretty much superior in every way...kind of like you and I."

"Let me get this straight," I deliberately pause, building up suspense, "you think I'm cute?"

*~**~*

Hey :)

If you'd like to read the rest of this chapter now, head over to Radish :D The complete chapter is up on Radish under 'Fast Forward' & written by CJ_Adler. I'll upload the full chapter on Wattpad in 12 months from now.

~ CJ