Chapter 30: Chain Reaction

We stayed with Bell and Max for a while longer to encourage them before deciding that we'd better leave – I'd hate to test Lan's patience...

As of now, I'm currently staring at my husband-thing, utterly besotted. I let out a dreamy sigh. It was really nice to see how gentle he was in his approach with my friends despite Bell testing his limits over and over again.

"I can feel your gaze on me," Jay states into the silence while driving. "Am I in the doghouse again?"

I hide my smile and shake my head. "Quite the opposite actually. I'm just feeling a sense of pride right now."

He arches an eyebrow. "Should I ask why?"

"I'm proud of you and the person you are," I clarify, tearing my eyes away from him to look out of the window – he must be taking a different route or something because this way seems much longer.

"Thanks..." he drawls out, confused. "But where is this coming from?"

I shrug, trying to not make a big deal out of this but to me, it's huge. "You're so kind to everyone. You're genuinely a good person and I feel so proud to have you in my life. I'm proud to call you mine. That's all."

He really sets the bar high for me when it comes to how he treats other people.

His lips twitch into an involuntary smile. "That means a lot. Thanks, 'Queels. I think the same about you."

I'm about to reply when he pulls over. My eyebrows shoot up into a frown. He didn't tell me that we're making any detours. "What's going on..." I stop talking when I see what he sees. "Oh."

I glance over at his side and spot a homeless man sitting alone in the bitter cold, shivering. It tugs on my heartstrings because life will never be fair. I hate that some have to suffer. I wish I could take away everyone's hurt...

Jay immediately opens his door and climbs out. He walks over to the man as if he knows him. He gets down onto his haunches and shrugs off his leather jacket. He covers the elderly man with it before helping him up to his feet.

"Thanks, Jay," the man expresses his gratitude, managing a smile despite his circumstances.

"Sure, Len. You haven't been around lately. I was starting to get worried. I thought I'd take my chances and check today. I'm glad I did. I've talked things over with Greg," Jay replies, opening the backseat door for him.

"You have?" Len asks him in surprise. "I didn't think..." he falters, shocked.

Jay nods. "I meant what I said, Len. I'm officially done at the bar. As promised, Greg would like to hire you. He needs the extra set of hands. I can drop you off there now?"

A look of pure relief stretches across Len's face. "I-I don't know what to say," he stutters before coughing again.

"The bar has a small room where you can stay for the time being. We don't want you out in this weather anymore," Jay tells him.

This is all news to me as well. When Len's eyes brim over with tears, mine do too. I find myself wiping at my eyes. What I'm seeing right now, this, this is the true human heart.

Speechless, Len embraces Jay tightly.

Jay pats him on the back, returning his affection. "Things are going to get better for you, Len. From here on out, things will be different."