Chapter 4: Spoiler Alert

"I love this," I state aloud with a content sigh. "I feel like I've finally found peace," I tell Jay staring up at the night sky from the top of Greg's roof. I lean my head on his shoulder and close my eyes. "It feels like home again."

I'm always going to cherish every moment I have with Jay.

"I know what you mean," I hear Jay say before I feel him reach for my hand and entwine our fingers together. "Moments like these take me back to the days when we were just kids, when we were only six."

"About that..." I grin from ear to ear in nostalgia, opening my eyes in excitement. "I remember you."

Jay furrows his eyebrows in confusion. "I should hope so seeing as you're kind of marrying me and all, spoiler alert."

I swat his chest with my free hand and move my head to look up at him. "I mean, I remember you as a kid. I remember everything. I remember seeing you that day. I remember smiling at you. I remember you befriending me. I remember you defending me. You were my best friend before anyone else." I lean up and kiss is cheek before softly pinching it. "You still are."

"You're mine too," he smiles joyfully with those striking blue eyes of his. "I'm glad you remember. I didn't know if you ever would," he says, super happy about it. "Christmas came early this year."

"I think I blocked out a lot of the memories because you left. It hurt," I explain with sadness at the reminder. Not long after Jay left, so did my 'dad'. It was hard times. "You disappeared without saying goodbye. I had no idea what happened to you."

Jay squeezes my hand to convey his emotions. "I'm sorry."

"It's not your fault that you were taken back to the orphanage," I reassure him before he can start the whole blaming himself thing again. It's best to focus on the positive instead. "You kissed me." I wiggle my eyebrows playfully. "You stole my first kiss," I tell him accusingly, loving that he did.

"Yeah and no regrets here. I liked it." He winks down at me in jest, teasing me. "Hopefully, I'll be your last kiss too," he drops his head and places a butterfly kiss against my lips, so light that I barely feel it. Still, it immediately sends an electric spark down my spine.

Jay sat detentions for me, day after day. He defended me. He always looked out for me. There is no one on this planet that I'd rather be with.

I wrap my arms around his neck and run my hands through his soft, brown hair. "Definitely, Jay," I nod with conviction. "There's nothing that I'm more sure about than being with you."

We lapse into a moment's silence. The moon shines down around us, casting our shadows into the light. Our shadows are no longer our demons. For once, the night is warm.

"You know what," I whisper, still reminiscing on the past, "I also remember all those beautiful flowers you'd give me very single morning." I touch the collar of his shirt and the back of his neck with affection before pulling him down to me. I move up and meet him halfway in a heated kiss, feeling the bliss of my heart racing. "I also remember your promise," I announce softly, pulling away slightly.

He presses his lips back against mine and I feel him grin against my lips. "I'll love you forever," he reminds me of the promise his little blue-eyed self made to me. "And I meant it. It's a promise I've always intended on keeping."

I pull back from him to laugh, finding it humorous that it took me so long to see how crazy Jay's always been about me. "I'll love you forever too," I reply in earnest, stifling another giggle.