Chapter 21: Damage Control

It's just after Boss Man enters his room that the front door slams open yet again but, this time, it's Max and Bell barging into the house with their triplet.

"Children, I'm home with even more children!" Max shouts at the top of his lungs. He spots Benley dancing with FeeBee and then turns to look at me, a stony expression on his face. "So, this is why you didn't answer my call, again? It's because you're too busy partying up a storm with your much better couple friends..." he trails off dramatically.

I attempt to defend myself before he runs away with his ridiculous ideas, "Max, don't make a thing out of this. This isn't a thing. It's—"

"It's a thing, alright! It's a thing is what it is! It's a clear thing! Clearly, it's a huge thing!" he snaps before taking a second to calm down. "Look, I don't want to go on a rant here...."

I wait for him to continue but after a few seconds, I realize that he's serious about not going on a rant. I shake my head and release a heavy sigh, the atmosphere feeling somber again. "Max—"

"Having a dance party without the dancing king, the party master? That's just cold, Aqueela," he cuts me off. "C'mon, what's good? I'm kind of annoyed, and as a huge feminist, I'm legally allowed to fight girls, so don't tempt me," he jokes.

This idiot. I'd obviously kick his ass; I'm deceptively strong.

"For once, I agree with my husband...well, not about the fighting women thing – he's going to kowtow to me for that later – I'm agreeing about the party thing. This celebration has been done in very bad taste," Bell chides, brushing by me with furrowed brows as she takes in the jovial scene. "Should I be offended that we weren't invited?"

I can practically feel AJ stiffen from beside me.

"Yeah, what gives?" Max asks. "I was calling earlier to tell you that we're stopping by on the way home. We wanted you as comic relief after a long day. Why don't you look happy to see us? I even brought your godchildren with!"

"I am happy to see you guys," I protest, unsure of what to do in this situation. They've really put me in a tough spot.

"I hope so," Bell replies and hands me Rhys, attempting to lift my spirits. "Because, girl, I hate to break it to you but you're acting like a mood."

"And a bad, period-y one at that," Max adds, backing his wife up.

"Eela!" Rhys squeals and rests his head in the crook of my neck, momentarily distracting me from hurting his father.

"Hi Rhysie," I greet him and plant a kiss on his soft forehead. I don't want him to feel my sadness but seeing him and his sisters sends a blinding pain through me.

Rhys smiles up at me and blows a raspberry, basically spitting on my face.

Max's eyebrows immediately shoot up when he notices my lack of a reaction. "Alright, you look sus. What's really going on, Aqueela?"

I cast a sad gaze out the window, wishing for Jay to be here – he's way better at damage control than me. "Nothing," I lie. I don't feel prepared to tell them just yet. I need more time.

"Okay..." he drawls, not quite believing me, "well, if everything is alright, can we join this rad partaay already? Like, can we sit?"

I wince. "There's no space."

Bell frowns and gestures to all the chairs available. "No space at all, huh?"

"Jeez, you're really not taking any prisoners today, are you?" Max teases.