The British camp

The British soldiers' camp was located in a well-hidden and secluded area. The only problem was the light layer of frost on the ground and trees which indicated the progression of the curse from the mountain.
It must have been a big pillar if the freezing had spread that far.

"We need a blanket, hot water and something to sew up Miss Neivers' wound!" The soldier who had found her made his way through about sixty men in uniform, decidedly surprised at having found her alone and so soon.

"Miss Neivers?!?" One of the curtains opened and Evans hurriedly emerged with the same amazed expression as his fellow soldiers. "Good God, you're covered in blood!"

"Captain..." Artica saluted. "I would like to tell you I'm fine, but that would be bullshit."

"Sir" The sentry saluted in turn. "She has a cut in her wing. She needs immediate care and food, she's exhausted."

Evans didn't think twice and took her to the military doctor to clean her wound and stitch it up, which Artica had to endure with her head pressed on a pillow to stifle her moans of pain.

"Almost finished, Miss. Hold on..." The doctor made a firm and well-rinsed stitch so that it would heal faster and better. As soon as he finished, they gave her a cloth to wash the dried blood off her face and hair.

"I am pleased to note that the gash from last time has healed." Evans asked permission to touch the membrane of her wings where there was now a scar; he found it peculiar to the touch, slightly rough like the wings of a moth but the consistency was that of human skin in terms of elasticity.

"I never thought there could be cre... Er, people like you, Miss."

Artica was grateful for the correction; she wasn't a creature, she was a person, as were the rest of the Neighbors.

"I imagine the shock. But don't worry, Captain. It's not me or my teammates you have to worry about."

"I read something regarding this in your letter..." Evans cupped his chin thoughtfully. "We also noticed some movement as we came with the boats. Beasts that live in water, right?"

"Finfolk... They're called Finfolk"

"I'm ignorant on the subject, I'm sorry. But if you say they're dangerous, I trust you."

"They kidnap human beings, and those like me. They enslave them, force them to bear children with them, as well as being cannibals."

The captain remained silent with his jaw clenched. "I don't know whether to be scared or disgusted," he grimaced. "I guess the blood on your body belongs to these monsters, am I right?"

"You are right."

After a heavy breath, Evans signaled to the doctor to leave her alone for a moment so that she could recover from the bad encounter, finish washing, eat something offered to her by the other soldiers and rest.

Artica touched the stitched area and shook her head. "We need something more here, if it gets infected it's the end" She therefore grabbed her satchel and rummaged inside, looking for the balm that Father Aidan had made and which she had brought with her.

...

Where did it go?

"What the fuck?!"

The bag was half empty, however; the few supplies and medicines she had were gone. Had she lost them during the fall down the ravine, perhaps? Or during the run between the two islands?

Regardless, she let out a frustrated noise with a couple of curses. She had no choice but to call Gigi. And so, she laid down on the cot with her eyes closed and the jewel in her fist.