Back home

The pain Artica was currently feeling was nothing compared to the previous times, it wasn't like having her body pierced by a thousand blades, but rather just being pricked by a few needles; it hurt, but it wasn't agonizing. Also, her magic had reached the core of the pillar much faster and released the wild energy once again, and just like at the Ben Arthur, this time too she was able to hear echoes of the past related to the Witch and Crom Cruach.

"I prayed for days but no one came, why didn't the Neighbors intervene?" the female voice was sobbing with anguish and anger. Then the hissing voice spoke again, still in the same worried tone.

"Because they're scared, child. They fear Man, as they feared me. For this they gouged out my eyes and destroyed my original body" Crom's voice snorted "Of course, the eye that could have been useful to them is kept in their realm, this one has been abandoned here for over a thousand years."

After some silence, Crom resumed, "Listen, child. I don't have a body, but my spirit lives in my eyes... I give you permission to use the one in front of you"

"What can it do?"

"Make you stronger, live longer, capable of stealing life and magic. You will have to practice, but it will allow you to take your revenge and drive away those miserable parasites..."

Images can't be heard, but Artica swore she could feel the sly grin of the sea serpent, taking advantage of the girl's anger and despair.

"I just want one thing in return..."

Arctica hissed a few insults, but it wasn't over yet: the Stone was reacting to that flow of magic and this time she had an actual vision of the past, like the images of her parents: a very tall figure that the girl recognized immediately... an old woman, stern, but not without kindness and wisdom in the gaze.
That memory belonged not to the Witch, nor to Cruach, it was Beira's.

"Your Majesty! Your Majesty, come quickly!"

"What happens?" Beira asked the owner of the voice, a man with blue moth wings and a collar of white fur around his neck, with hairy antennae and feet that looked like insect legs: a Sidhe of Winter, like her and her mother.

"My Queen, the barrier that protects this village is..." He hesitated, trying to find the words "It's rotting!"

"What?" The queen descended the hill towards a small cluster of houses and huts built on mighty trees. Around her, more Sidhe had gathered, brandishing swords, knives, crossbows and securing the children in their homes.

What they called a barrier was a massive wall of tangled brambles that was slowly withering away, as if the life was being sucked out of the plant until it crumbled, completely dry and dead.

"Beira Cailleach..." A female voice called from across the dust that had arisen from the collapse of the plant, coming from a figure that was slowly advancing towards the group of creatures between human and insect.

"Who enters my children's village without permission and destroys its defenses?"

A young woman with black and gray hair, eyes completely black and devoid of any iris or pupil emerged from the dust... It was her.

"The one who challenges you for the title of Queen of Winter, Beira" The woman replied in a voice as cold as her gaze. Behind her were more people, armed with both swords and firearms, ready to attack at the slightest order.

Beira slammed her staff to the ground, which immediately froze. With a wave of her hand, a thick icy wall rose between the intruder and the armada behind her, separating them.