"Why doesn't she come along? It'd be nice to meet the girl who's been making you so happy for years now" Monique asked.

"Yes, Sam should absolutely come along! It's been a while" Vic agreed.

"Oh, I think she has some kind of business lunch. But I can still ask her" I replied, feeling kind of stupid at using Sam's go-to excuse for not attending stuff.

She'd never wanted to come along with me when I went in my town to Vic's house even if she'd been invited. As much as I tried to tell her we weren't going to accidentally bump into my parents and just start having a fight, I got why she didn't feel very welcomed in the place. But she also would always say she was scared Vic's parents would be weird about our age gap and stuff, and I'd tried to convince her they were the least likely to be judging someone, but I never was successful.

"Well, let us know then" Monique nodded.

"Of course. I'm gonna go try to find her now" I said, hugging my friends before I left.

you: where are you?

sam<3: Just getting to the car, you?

you: same :) be right there

I luckily kind of remembered where she'd parked when we arrived, so it didn't take too long despite the crowds of people everywhere.

A definitely positive aspect of having so many people around was that no one noticed me basically running towards my girlfriend once I spotted her, and her picking me up as I wrapped my legs around her torso and kissed her, cupping her face in both my hands.

"I am so, so..." she said before kissing me again. "So proud of you"

"Thank you" I smiled, also kissing her again.

"Did you have fun?"

"Yeah, it was great! Even if I spent most time trying to spot you through the crowd of professors"

"Well, that's silly. There were definitely too many people in there for you to find me" she said, gently putting me down.

"I couldn't help it" I giggled. "But it really was a fun experience, I can't believe you get to attend this every year"

"I told you it'd be a great experience. I've been to three of these now, and it's always amazing. And hopefully you'll be attending again in two years"

"Oh, right. I sometimes forget I actually got in the master's program"

"How can you forget how much of a smartass you are?"

"Shut up" I hit her arm with a laugh.

"It's true" she shrugged, kissing my forehead. "Did you cry?"

"Yeah, I got emotional at one point"

"I can tell" she said with a laugh, licking her thumb and seemingly cleaning the skin under my eye.

"My makeup was smudged and my friends didn't tell me?"

"It's alright, you're good now" she chuckled.

"Thanks, I guess. I need to get out of this gown thing now, as much as it's making me feel smart. I'm sweating way too much"

"You look good in purple" she looked down at what I was wearing.

"Thanks, you too. You eyes look even bluer"

"Thank you" she laughed, kissing me again. "We can go home before I drive you to your lunch thing if you wanna get changed"

"Sounds good" I nodded. "What are you doing today?"

"The faculty members wanted to meet for drinks later this afternoon. I don't really want to go but I feel like I should. They still see me as a new member even if it's been more than three years"