Issue 25: Confident Confidence

Depuis le début

"How's Miss Blight doing today?" Luz asked with a grin, her confidence only seeming to grow more and more. And she had no idea why, since she knew how big of a deal this was for her.

"Fine. I'm just glad you're back to your chipper self. That video really seemed to anger you more than it did me." Amity said.

Luz's smile didn't fade and she shrugged. "I just think the guy was a bit of a pompous jerk is all, but that's not what we should be focusing on. I actually have something to ask."

"Well, ask away! I gotta get to class soon though." Amity said with a kind smile.

Luz then cleared her throat. "Do-"

But then, her shoulder was suddenly grabbed and she was pulled right out of the way. Luz was surprised her Spider-Sense didn't go off, but perhaps that just meant she wasn't in danger.

And sure enough, she really wasn't. Because the hand that pulled her away was none other than Boscha.

"Amity, do you wanna go to Prom with me!?" Boscha cried, sounding...well...desperate.

It was sad.

Amity's eyes widened a bit before they narrowed. "Seriously, Boscha? Y...you're playing a prank on me, aren't you?"

"No, I'm serious! Look, I...I'm sorry for what I did! I'm sorry for being an awful girlfriend to you or just not being good enough, and I want to give us another shot!" Boscha cried.

"Well, I don't." Amity said. "How many times do I have to say that we're through until it gets through your head!?"

Luz's eyes suddenly narrowed as she walked behind Boscha, feeling like she was actually towering over her despite the two being relatively the same height.

"Please! I've-"

"Changed?" Luz asked, crossing her arms. "Oh, yeah. You've definitely changed. You've gone from bully to liar...oh, wait. That's not changing, you were already both."

Boscha turned her head to Luz, sneering. "Can't you see I'm trying to talk to Amity?!"

"Oh, I can. But what you can't see is that she wants to be left alone." Luz said. "And I'm sick and tired of seeing you come up to her and expect her to just take you back! She can do whatever she wants, and what she wants is for you to get out of her face!"

She then grabbed Boscha by her jacket and then pushed her away. "So buzz off!!!"

But then, just as Boscha began to stumble, the bell rang.

Amity sighed, looking at Boscha and then Luz. "Sorry, Luz. I gotta get to class. We'll talk later." She said before heading off, speed walking a little.

Luz lifted out her hand towards her before sighing. She then looked at Boscha. "Looks like neither of us are getting what we want. Thanks."

"Wait...you were gonna ask her to Prom!?" Boscha said before snorting. "Seriously? What makes you think you have a-"

Luz then grabbed her again and slammed her against the wall. "I don't want to hear another word out of your mouth...if I do, I'm making sure I shut it up. GOT IT?"

Boscha's eyes widened a bit, clearly surprised by the strength and demanding tone of the girl she once thought she had power over.

Luz then dropped her, walking off. "But you're a waste of my time...what did Amity ever see in someone as pathetic as you?"

She didn't bother to stay to hear what Boscha would've said next, if she had anything to say at all. Luz just headed to class, disappointed that she had lost her chance and would now have to wait another time.

The usual hour of her next class felt so much slower than it usually did. And what had happened earlier stuck on her mind, clouding whatever she needed to be learning.

Getting Boscha to shut up felt good. And now, she had the power to make her go through the same fear she had put others through on a daily basis.

Luz couldn't help but grin a little at that before suddenly, she felt her phone buzz. She reached into her pocket and saw it was a text from...Amity.

Amity: Sorry if you're in class, just answer when you can. What did you want to ask me?

Luz was silent for a moment before she looked up at the teacher and her other classmates. She then sighed quietly. She had wanted to say it in person, but...

Luz: I wanted to know if you wanted to go to Prom with me.

Amity: As in a date? Like, a date-date?

Luz: Yeah...I get if you don't want to though. If you just wanna stay friends, I won't force you.

Luz felt as if time was slowing down as the lessons of her teacher slowly blurred. She tried to sneak her phone back into her pocket just to try and ignore the possible heartbreak...but then?

Amity: I was actually going to ask you!

Luz: Wait what

Amity: You've been a really good friend to me, Luz. And I appreciate what you did for me with Boscha back there. Not to mention, you're just a really good listener. I feel bad I didn't meet you sooner.

Amity: Shoot was that too much? I'm so sorry that was probably weird!!!

Amity: i

Amity: STUPID TEXTING

Luz: It's a date! I'll see how fancy or crazy Miss Blight can be in two weeks then. :)

"Luz? Are you still with us?" The teacher asked suddenly.

Luz quickly put her phone in her pocket, a gigantic smile now spreading across her face. "Yup!"

Meanwhile...

"...you're late." The man said as his tendrils sprouted around his laboratory.

A woman wearing special armor of some kind just chuckled, her voice having an echoey effect due to the helmet. "You never specified when I had to be here...besides, I'm sure my favorite client can forgive me."

"I'll forgive your tardiness if you complete a simple task for me." The man said. "I assume you've heard of Spider-Witch?"

"She's practically all everyone talks about now...I take it the 'supervillains' are your doing?"

"Collateral damage and casualties are acceptable if it means the witch is destroyed." The man said, his eyes suddenly glowing blue as he stood from his chair. "But now, she is in possession of a deadly creature from that wretched place. And it has taken a liking to her."

He then typed at his computer, showing screenshots of Spider-Witch in her new black suit.

"Grometheus the Fear Bringer is what those Hellspawn call it. It used to be its own physical being before being reduced to a lowly parasite." The man said.

The armored mercenary just chuckled. "Makes it all the more fun for me..."

"I do not tolerate failure lightly." The man threatened. "You'll be lucky if you fail and I believe there is still use for you..."

"You won't need to worry about that." The mercenary smirked as she walked off. "Your 'witch-hunt' is about to end."