23: Stuffed Toys and Rosie

Start from the beginning

"...Isn't that normal?"

"I think there are a lot of people who can't even do that much. Like, you're the type who can figure out what a girl wants and then make it happen. You don't make a big deal out of it; you just pay attention and then act on what you see."

"...You sound awfully sure about this."

"If you weren't that type of person, do you really think that a cautious girl who's always hiding behind a guarded smile would have ever gotten attached to you?"

When Jennie put it that way, I couldn't refute her theory.

I bit my lip hard as I mulled it over, and she laughed.

"...Also, can I say one thing?" Jennie continued.

"What?"

"If you weren't into her, you probably wouldn't treat her as well as you do."

"Shut up. Is it so bad being nice to someone?"

Jennie could read me like a book. There was no hiding how I felt. I turned away and began sulkily slurping up the noodles I'd ordered for lunch.

Rather than teasing me further, Jennie nodded sagely and acted impressed.

"If you ask me, you ought to be happy. It's a wonderful thing to find someone to treasure."

"Oh, you think you're an expert?"

"I know I am."

"...I don't really care whether we get together. If there's someone out there who would make her happy, I don't mind if it's not me."

If Rosé chose some other, unknown person and was really, truly happy with them, I would give them my blessing. If anyone deserved happiness, it was Rosé.

Of course, I very much wanted to be the one to make her happy, but if she ended up finding fulfillment elsewhere, I wouldn't balk at swallowing my feelings.

"...You're such a wuss."

"And you're a jackass... Look, I do want to make her happy, I do, but—"

"Then just tell her that already."

"I can't just come out and say it, you moron!"

How can I confess my feelings if I haven't even figured them out myself?

Rosé was so cautious when it came to relationships that I was sure there was no way she would be willing to go out with someone for fun or just to try things out. It was all or nothing.

And given everything with Rosé's parents, she's not likely to agree to date someone of the same sex so easily anyway.

"...You are a serious late bloomer."

"Shut up. It's fine; I can get her to like me in my own way."

"...Well, as an objective observer, I think it'd be better if you tell her everything straight up, but—"

"But what?"

"...Nothing," Jennie muttered. "...All right... good luck. I'm rooting for you."

I frowned, but I was actually really grateful for my friend's somewhat exasperated encouragement.

-

"Oh, Y/N, don't see you here often."

I had stopped by the local arcade after school. I was just inserting a bill into the change machine when I heard a familiar voice.

I stuffed my change into my wallet and turned around to find Chanyeol standing there. He had apparently also come to play games and was standing behind me with his wallet in one hand.