Chapter 9

Aaliyah Thompson
1:16 pm

"Yo, what's up with you and ol' boy?" Jamal asks as soon as he sits down. He thinks just because we flirted that one time at the party, we together and I owe something.

"None of your business." I say turning my to face front.

"Yeah, aight. Stop playing with me."

"Boy, we are not together." I say pulling out a pen for the exam.

And the exam starts and I finish quickly and get to leave early. I drive home and shower. I called Destiny and told her let's go to the block. I change into a white tee, gray biker shorts and white crocs. I apply some lip gloss and spray some perfume. I grab my purse and get into my Benz.

"Get in!" I yell to Destiny when I pull up and she's on her porch. She runs to the car and gets in.

It's been hours and now it's a party in the middle of the block. Everybody out here. Now me and Destiny lit. I'm throwing it back on somebody son. Then I feel somebody grab me up.

"Why the fuck you out here being a slut?!" Jamal yells at me.

"Listen, you are not my man or my father! Get the fuck away from me!" I yell walking away from him. I get back by Destiny and sip some casa. They started playing some reggae and me and Destiny started to whine. I feel somebody grab me up.

"Little girl!" Kamari yells at me.

"Hey, big bro!" I yell hugging him.

"If you don't get yo big ass off me!" He yells pushing me off.

"Damn, you don't love me."

"What's this I hear about some nigga grabbing you up and you twerking and shit. Cut it out!"

"Like I told him. Y'all not my father or my man. I could twerk on whoever I want."

"Fuck all that! Who was this nigga?! I heard he called you a slut."

"If you know all that, then you should know who he is." I say joking.

"I'm being dead, Renee." He says calling me by my middle name.

"He's from my school. He's on the football team, name's Jamal." I say walking away from me.

"Girl, I'm going to talk to Damien." D says when I get back.

"Okay." He's one of my brother's homeboys. He a bit of a duck it but then again so is Destiny. I'm glad she's done with Drew.

"Ay, you Aaliyah?" A darkskin boy with waves asks me.

"Nope." I say turning away from him.

"Stop playing. I'm a friend of your brother's."

"Okay, why you talking to me?" I asked annoyed, I'm just trying to chill, all everybody wanna do is talk.

"Chill, I just wanna talk to you." He says holding his hands up.

"And I'm tryna chill." I say finishing my drink.

"Okay." He says going to away.

"My bad, I'm just tryna enjoy being outside." I say before he could walk away. He's fine, can't let a fine nigga walk away like that.

"I understand and I'm not tryna stop that."

"I'll give you my number, call me." I say typing my phone number into his phone and walking away.

***

"Hello?" I say groggily into the phone.

"You said to call you sometime." A deep as fuck voice says into the phone.

I look at the number and the time.

"Who is this?" I ask getting up and going to the bathroom. I got an overpowering taste of weed and liquor in my mouth.

"Calvin."

"Who?" I say getting out my mouthwash and toothpaste.

"You met me last night and gave me your number."

"Ohhhh, yeah. Hold up, let me brush my teeth." Once I do that go back into my bedroom and through the covers over me.

"I called cause I wanted to ask you out."

"I just want to warn you I'm not looking for anything."

"Me either, we could go as friends."

We talk for a little but then Noah calls so I tell Calvin later and pick up for him.

"Hey." I say smiling into the camera.

"Hey." He says his voice deep as fuck. He must've just woke up.

"You just woke up?" I ask getting up to start a nice bubble bath.

"Yeah, and I wanted to talk to you." He says yawning.

"You ain't even brush them gums and you thinking about me. You got work today?" I ask but bubble in the water and finding some candles to light.

"Yeah, why?"

"Nothing, I just wanted to see you."

"You didn't even wash your face and you ready to see me." He teases.

"Haha." I say slipping into the bath.

"You could come over later." He says walking into his bathroom.

"You want me to?" I ask setting up the phone.

"Yes."

I'm trying to get him out of his shell and getting to actually say what he wants and it's getting better. Much better.

"Sarah gonna be there. I love that lady."

"You met her once." He says laughing into the phone.

"Yeah, I only needed one chance."

"No, she's at work and doesn't get off til I got to work. But my dad might be here." He says spitting out the toothpaste.

"I'm meeting the family."

"Just my parents. My brother and sister don't come until November."

"That an invitation." I ask watching him wash his face. I got him to buy some face cleanser and moisturizer.

"N-n-y-y- I was just saying." He stammers turning red.

"You are so cute." I say blowing a kiss at him.

After a while we hang up and get dressed. I put on a black graphic tee, ripped jeans and all white Air Force 1s.

"Where you going, lil' girl?" I turn to see my dad. I run up to him and hug him tight.

"I ain't see in a minute, old man." I say rubbing his shining bald head. He cut all his hair off a few weeks back. He said it's because he wanted a new look. I think he's balding.

"That's cause yo little ass never home." He says handing me a stack of hundreds.

"What's this for?" I ask tucking it in my purse.

"Cause you my daughter that's why and imma send some more. What's this I hear about some boy grabbing you up and calling you a slut?" He asks looking down at me.

"It's just some boy, daddy. He mad that I don't want him. I did flirt with him one time and now he thinks we're together." I says sighing.

Kamari is such a snitch

"What did I teach you?" He says lifting my chin up.

"Never let any man call me out my name or hit me. And if they do call you or my brother."

"Okay, do that next time. Kamari said he'd handle it. But like I said were you going?"

"Going to chill with my friend." I say my heart thumping.

"What friend? I need a meet him?"

"I didn't say it was a boy." I laugh.

"Yeah, aight."