[ 9 ]

Frick, a group project

"The project won't be too difficult, as it is simply an introduction to the unit we are about to begin on galaxy formation. You all will do your own research on galaxy formation and, together with three other students in this class, create a nine slide slideshow about what you research. The first slide should be a title slide and each student is in charge of two other slides."

Chatter broke out in the classroom at the announcement of the assignment, students starting to get up to move to sit with students they wanted to sit with. The professor held up a hand and the class went silent. "Nope, everyone sit down. I will be picking your partners for you."

A mutter of disappointment rippled through the classroom as students sat back down. "I've written down your groups here." The professor clicked her computer and flipped the projector to the next slide, where the group assignments were listed. "I suggest you find the people you're working with in the next five minutes before this class is supposed to end and figure out a time to start working. This is an easy assignment, so it'll be due by the end of next week's lecture. Good luck."

With that, the class once again descended into conversation, students moving closer to the screen to see the names of who'd they'd be working with. Staying in her seat, Songmin squinted at the screen, trying to spot her group.

Group 3: Gu Sebin, Byeong Chaeyoon, Jong Songmin, Kim Kinam

Songmin sighed, closed her computer on which she'd been taking lecture notes, put it in her messenger bag, and stood. But before she could leave, a female student approached her.

I love her sense of style.

She wore a cute white blouse with white lace around the collar and a dainty white bow. The blouse was paired with a baby blue cropped jacket and layered baby blue skirt that ended just above her knee. Black flats nicely accented the outfit, contrasting white socks with lace lining. Her long brown hair was tied up into a loose ponytail with a white ribbon, alternating blue and white hairclips keeping her bangs out of her face. She carried a white tote bag just large enough for a computer and some essentials.

Her gummy grin matched her sense of style, cute and innocent, as she gave Songmin a little wave, which Songmin returned. Songmin noticed with a smile that the girl was a few centimeters shorter than her.

"Are you Jong Songmin?"

Songmin nodded, instinctively extending her arm for a handshake. The girl grasped her hand and shook it solidly. "Great! I was scared I'd bothered the wrong person. I'm Byeong Chaeyoon, one of your partners for the project."

Releasing Songmin's hand, Chaeyoon reached into her bag and took out her phone. She unlocked it and opened the contacts app, holding it out to Songmin. "Would you mind giving me your phone number? I'd like to have the contact information of everyone in our group so we can communicate."